Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2d Pocket/Adaptive Clearing won't take small gap, would rather plunge multiple times

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
crjcaruana
182 Views, 2 Replies

2d Pocket/Adaptive Clearing won't take small gap, would rather plunge multiple times

Hello,

I've experienced this multiple times, but this project requires me to actually do something about it- I'm making a maze out of pine, I plan on using an 1/8" bit for the cutouts. Preparing both 2D pockets or 2D adaptive clearing, it seems like the tool path decides to cut out small areas, retract, and plunge to the next area... rather than just clearing in between the walls. The minimum distance between corners is 0.2", so my bit should be fine. 95% of the walls are all apart of the same "path" with the exception of 2 or 3 small stand-alone pockets; that's the point of a maze, isn't it?

I would obviously like to solve this issue for all projects, but this one is imperative, as my nephew's birthday is in 8 days, and this cut has been estimated to take ~4-7 hours (depending on feeds and speeds)... I've never made a cut longer than 10 minutes.

Any help is appreciated!

Tons of plungingTons of plungingRamp settingsRamp settingsLinking settingsLinking settingsnon-selectionsnon-selectionsPasses settingsPasses settingsHeight SettingsHeight SettingsGeometry- one large pocket, 2 small pockets, 3 tiny circular pockets (not relevant)Geometry- one large pocket, 2 small pockets, 3 tiny circular pockets (not relevant)

Labels (4)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: crjcaruana

Hi,

The problem is your bit is actually 1/4" which is larger than the gaps.

You have the description as a 1/8" bit but its actually set as a 1/4":

bit.png

If you change it to 1/8" it generates properly.

fishy.png

Also If you upload your file from the insider version of Fusion most people aren't going to be able to open it to diagnose

Message 3 of 3
crjcaruana
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

Well, that was silly. Thanks for noticing- I had overlooked it as it's a 1/4 shank and didn't think twice.
With that said, I have noticed similar behavior on different projects, where the gap was ever so slightly bigger than the bit cutting it, and it resulted in strange behavior.
For now, I think your solution is great. I'll respond if I run into the situation before... appreciate your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report