Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D CONTOUR TOOL COMPENSATION NOT WORKING WITH WALL TAPER ANGLE

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Fabbunny69
407 Views, 16 Replies

Hi Everybody,

Only been using Fusion for a few weeks and I am having problems getting the wall taper parameter to work in 2d Contour toolpath.

When I put an angle in the wall taper parameter in this case 65deg then fusion seems to ignore the diameter compensation, I hope my first screencast helps you understand my issue.

The angle is being created at the bottom of a counter bore.

Looking forward to your response and many thanks for your time.

Wayne

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Fabbunny69
in reply to: Fabbunny69

SORRY SCREENCAST LINK BELOW, IT DIDNT ATTACH AS A EXPECTED.

https://autode.sk/2ZfLetU

Message 3 of 17
seth.madore

Can you share your file so I have the exact same data as you?

File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 17
Fabbunny69
in reply to: seth.madore

Sorry I will get used to this 🙄 file attached.

Message 5 of 17
seth.madore

Not gonna deny that there's something going awry here. However, do you need/want a 65 degree taper in the bottom of the counterbore? It seems that it would be more appropriate to have the feature actually modeled in the part, rather than trying to get it to work with sketches and 2d toolpaths.

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 17
Fabbunny69

With this component being very simple in design, just four counter bored holes (although 50rc Bisaloy) I didn't see the need to model it, but that could be my 10+year Mastercam way of thinking I suppose. 

Is it necessary to model everything in Fusion to get maximum guaranteed functionality?

Message 7 of 17
Fabbunny69

PS> yes the 65deg counter bored is required to mate with taper lock bolts.

Message 8 of 17
seth.madore

Yes, in most cases. 2D toolpaths (except for Chamfer) are more than happy to violate the model, but all the 3D toolpaths are "model aware". For this, I'd model it properly, and then use Ramp or Scallop to machine it.

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 17
Fabbunny69

Thanks for that. But I think that the tool compensation should still be corrected in this toolpath when using a taper angle, this must be an error in the Fusion.

Message 10 of 17
seth.madore

It is an error. I haven't had time today to investigate closer and log it. I'll circle back once I do 🙂

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 17
Fabbunny69

@seth.madore you get anywhere with this?

Message 12 of 17
seth.madore

I could have sworn I replied to the other thread you had started.....

At any rate, you need to be selecting the bottom contour. The Wall Taper Angle is calculated from a bottom-up approach.

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 17
tony.loosa

What if you are generating tool path from wire frame and only have the top diameter information? Creating tapered tool path from the bottom up doesn't make sense to calculate the bottom location all the time.

Message 14 of 17
seth.madore
in reply to: tony.loosa

It does for 2D Contour.

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here or privately?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply. To share the file privately, it's the same process, but email it to me: seth DOT madore AT autodesk DOT com

Seth Madore
Message 15 of 17
tony.loosa

In both cases, the tool path removes more material then it should. (ID taper of profile)

Message 16 of 17
seth.madore
in reply to: tony.loosa

In order for taper passes in 2D Contour to be placed correctly, your contour needs to be your bottom height. Trying to drive this off a single sketch at the top plane just isn't going to work easily (without a lot of trial and error with Stock to Leave). The quick and easy solution is to sketch the diameter (or make a solid/surface) and select the proper contour to be machined.

Bottom contour driven:

2023-08-15_05h13_25.png

I've attached the file for your review

Top Contour Driven (original sketch):

2023-08-15_05h16_08.png

Seth Madore
Message 17 of 17
tony.loosa

That's why it's not working correctly. The customer drawing only gives me the inner and outer diameter diameter of the weld bevel at the surface, not from the bottom of the weld bevel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report