Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D Contour: Rest machining not working?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
FrodoLoggins
218 Views, 5 Replies

2D Contour: Rest machining not working?

As you can see in the below video after copying the original tool path with rest machining enabled and the disabling rest machining [on the copied toolpath] the toolpaths are exactly the same:

Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 8.13.41 AM.png

EDIT: Removing the Minimum Cutting Radius value of .01" allows rest machining to work but with .01" being so small that should have no effect here?

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
engineguy
in reply to: FrodoLoggins

@FrodoLoggins 

From a quick look at your file it looks like you have the same tool for both operations (T2) so that would that not be  likely give you the same toolpath maybe ??

Message 3 of 6
FrodoLoggins
in reply to: engineguy

The 1/4" tool is tool 4. The .078" tool is tool 2. 

The reason why you're seeing the "same tool" is because I copied and pasted the "rest machining" operation to show that there is no difference between rest machining being enabled and disabled.

Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 9.09.04 AM.png

Why didn't you watch the video?

- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
Message 4 of 6
engineguy

@FrodoLoggins 

To me all I see is a second toolpath for the same Contour using a tool small enough to actually do the job anyway, so regardless of whether the "Rest" is on or not, it is just an open Contour so the new tool will just follow the selectd edge, there is not a requirement for a "Rest" function that I can see for this type of toolpath so I would not expect to see any difference anyway 🙂

Your Video is of very poor quality, may just be the Servers being slow at this time of day and also there is no Audio explaining the blurry actions on screen so I close it down as it tells me very little 😞

Message 5 of 6
FrodoLoggins
in reply to: engineguy

Just checked, the video quality is fine. If you're having playback issues you can click the little gear icon and then change the video quality:

Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 12.21.59 PM.png

A 1/4" end mill can not mill a corner with a 0.078" radius. So I'm using a follow up operation with a .078" diameter tool. Selecting the rest machining setting is not required, but this is a production run so I'm trying to save as much time as possible by not milling what was already milled.

I'd also like this looked at so I don't encounter this in the future where it does matter.

Please stop lying.

Message 6 of 6
engineguy

@FrodoLoggins 

Hmmm, yes, looked at it again and agreed, it should work.

However it does work, I think your issue was making a copy of the first Contour with the 1/4in tool and then trying to in effect use the same Operation again, Fusion got confused I think, same here 🙂

I deleted the second (copied) Wall Operation and created a new 2D Contour and set it to "Rest Machining" from a preceding tool size of 0.25 and it seems to work as expected, I understand what you are trying to achieve by not doing the full Contour again, see the image below and attached file 🙂

Rest.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report