Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D Chamfer with cutter comp

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Pathfinder20
437 Views, 8 Replies

2D Chamfer with cutter comp

2D chamfer with cutter comp. Would like to be able to adjust chamfer cutter both horizontally and

vertically on offset page of machine control.

Thanks,

Pathfinder20

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
VicKosta
in reply to: Pathfinder20

Using 2D contour and "wear" produces G41 and G40, using same setting in 2D chamfer does not.

My guess is that this is due to "chamfer clearance" setting in in 2D chamfer, if you set clearance to .002 than use cutter comp to increase chamfer size by .004, you would crash tool into wall you intended to clear by .002 for example.2019-08-22 15_28_07-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Message 3 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: Pathfinder20

2D Chamfer does not support cutter compensation, even though it has the option for that. There is a ticket open to investigate why this is the case.

As @VicKosta points out, use 2D Contour with compensation and you will get almost all the functionality you need. The only thing Contour doesn't get you is collision avoidance..

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 9
Pathfinder20
in reply to: VicKosta

Thank you both for the info. I will try 2D contour and test the results.

Pathfinder20

Message 5 of 9

@Pathfinder20 How did you end up achieving compensation for the chamfer tool??

Message 6 of 9

@brandon.thompson57 as explained in the replies above; the Chamfer toolpath does not support cutter comp (even though there's the option for "wear"). Nothing is passed through to the post to allow for G40/41. If you need to use cutter comp, then I recommend using the 2D Contour toolpath. If you have a Chamfer tool selected, it will provide new fields for defining chamfer size and whatnot

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 9
tntmachineco
in reply to: seth.madore

Hi Seth,

Any progress on adding cutter comp for chamfering?  Selecting Contour does work but I like the chamfer collision clearance.  

Thanks,

John and Trent

Message 8 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: tntmachineco

I don't believe there are any plans to add Cutter Compensation to the Chamfer toolpath, sorry.

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 9
DarthBane55
in reply to: seth.madore

@VicKosta explained well why there is no cutter comp on 2d chamfer (above in this thread).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report