Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D adaptive leaving material and not machining past open corners

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
t.g.mandel
252 Views, 8 Replies

2D adaptive leaving material and not machining past open corners

I would like to know what settings I need to change so that no material is left in the open corners. Thank you.

See image below:

tgmandel_0-1682776961250.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: t.g.mandel

It'd be easier to demonstrate if you could share your file 🙂
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 9
engineguy

@t.g.mandel 

Without a sample Fusion file as @seth.madore suggests this is just a guess of how it might be done, the shape is not a million miles away from your image, have you tried using the "Pocket" option in the 2D Adaptive selection as a possible method? See images below and attached Fusion file.2D Adaptive Pocket example.jpg

2D Adaptive Pocket example-1.jpg

Message 4 of 9
t.g.mandel
in reply to: seth.madore

Thank you for the response and offer to help.

I have attached the requested file.

Note that I tried, with a new rectangular sketch, to add a new wider boundary. However my inexperience  leads only to failed attempts to use it to solve the issue.

Thank you for taking the time to look at it.

Message 5 of 9
t.g.mandel
in reply to: engineguy

Thank you for your help - I appreciate it. When I had tried that option earlier I got an error:  "unsupported geometry for open 2D pocket"

Message 6 of 9
t.g.mandel
in reply to: seth.madore

I tried more combinations and think I may have solved it.

I chose chains and then open chain>tangent>distance extension> 10 mm. If you have time please let me know if this is a reasonable method, or if there is a better one for this particular machining. See images below:

tgmandel_0-1682795514083.pngtgmandel_1-1682795553687.pngtgmandel_2-1682795571029.png

Message 7 of 9
t.g.mandel

I kept at it and posted images of what I think is a workable method.

Thank you again.

Message 8 of 9
engineguy

@t.g.mandel 

The issue is with your Model, it is "broken", you need to go back to the Design Mode and fix the model and it should work, have a look under the Model as shown in the image below.

Z Bottom Plate fit test.jpg

Message 9 of 9
t.g.mandel
in reply to: engineguy

I had not even noticed that - thank you. I went back to the sketch and saw the problem areas and how they occurred, so I can use this knowledge and avoid this in future work so that is a bonus. I modified the sketch/model to eliminate these two anomalies.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums