Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D Adaptive Clearing Not Removing All Material - Causing Rest Machining Issues

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jeff_merkel
198 Views, 3 Replies

2D Adaptive Clearing Not Removing All Material - Causing Rest Machining Issues

I've been hammering on this issue for days with no progress and could really use some help. I've combed through all the other 2D Adaptive Clearing and Rest Machining discussions here but I've not been able to find a solution to my own issue. 

I'm attempting to use 2D Adaptive Clearing with Rest Machining in successive steps with smaller bits (CNC router) finishing with a 2D Contour to clean up the profiles. For some reason the Adaptive Clearing isn't removing all the material in each step, which then causes collisions in later steps and leaves islands of material. The bit can clearly fit in the spaces that it's not machining (3D Adaptive can get in there as well as traditional 2D Pocket, but both are having their own issues with successive Rest Machining steps). 

Shown is a simplified example that illustrates the problem. In the 1/4" 2D Adaptive Clearing the bottom of the S and both parts of the E aren't being removed, yet the next step with the 1/8" bit assumed they had been removed. On the 1/8" pass the middle of the A isn't removed thought the 1/16" step assumed it had. As a result there are collisions and remaining islands of stock.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 6.04.28 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 6.19.14 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 6.27.39 PM.png

I feel like I've tried every possible setting combination to no avail. I've had to manually chisel/route out a ton of material on actual pieces that had pretty large areas remaining since I've had to keep things moving but it's misery and obviously not right so I must be missing something. Does anyone have an idea on what I might be doing wrong? Thanks!

Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
engineguy
in reply to: jeff_merkel

@jeff_merkel 

Have you tried using the 3D Adaptive for the Rest operations ? Seems to work a little better here, the 2D operations are not what is called "model aware" so don`t "see" all the material to be removed, have a look at the attached file, seems better, no collisions, also make sure that the Axial "Stock to Leave" is set to 0 otherwise there will be material left at the bottom that the Finish Contour will not remove, hope this helps 🙂 🙂

Rest Testing.jpg

Message 3 of 4
HughesTooling

The problem is the minimum ramp diameter is restricting where the tools can reach. If I reduce the minimum ramp to 0.5mm it works as expected. See attached file. But as @engineguy suggests the 3d ops do a better job as they are stock aware. Don't be scared of the 3d ops, they are just as easy to setup!

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
jeff_merkel

Thank you both so much for the help! Y'all rock!

@engineguy, I had gone down 3D route for a while, and while I was able to get it to clear everything, it does so sort of in a weird way. During the 1/16" pass it does sort of a half-pass around the outside for seemingly no reason as well as passes along/around the letters. On my actual parts that are a lot bigger I'm getting a lot more artifacts like that with a lot of unnecessary passes. It's very strange, but in the end does remove all the leftover material.

@HughesTooling, I can't believe I overlooked the minimum helical diameter. That's exactly the setting I was missing for the 2D Adaptive operations!

Many cheers to both of you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report