cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pick list configurations

Pick list configurations

we should be able to make information in a pick list selectable or non-selectable  by an on/off button next to each picklist item. Currently to make information non-selectable from a pick list we have to remove the record/ delete it...

for example: we have a pick list in our Change Order Workspace that tells us what type of change it is- lets say a Picklist called "Change Type" with selectable options of...

1.)Document update

2.) Initial Release

3.) Design Change.

lets say I don't want "document update" to be selectable anymore. the only way to make it non-selectable is to delete it. that causes all the completed change orders that had "document update" selected to be blank now. (BIG PROBLEM) 

this will cause problems for our auditors. we should be able to turn on and off selections from a pick list but keep them active so they don't get removed from old change order records. basically just make them not selectable from now on but still active.  

9 Comments
fred_smith
Autodesk

I agree. Need a way to disable picks, without re-writing history.

richard.valdez
Advocate

this is becoming a HUGE problem for our system. in our ever changing manufacturing environment we have products and Work sites that are no longer needed or used. so if we have a picklist that indicates a specific Product or site that is no longer available I need this to be non select able but I still need the history to be available for all existing Change Orders for audits. Deleting the Record in the picklist or Work space is not an option. this should be addressed very soon! the first question in an audit is "if the product is no longer available, then why is it still selectable?" it seem like a smart system like Autodesk should have the option to disable the Picklist vaue without compromising existing Change Orders. 

fred_smith
Autodesk

To clarify... I agree that this is an issue with static pick lists. I think the alternative is to move static lists (that you know will grow/change) into a workspace. Then each value can have an on/off flag as you suggest and the pick list can be defined with a filter on that flag. Would this work-around work for you? Or am I missing something?

richard.valdez
Advocate

Yes, My Lists are set up in Workspaces and picklists set up in other workspaces that pull from thier values, but right now there is no way to turn them off and we absolutely need this.    

richard.valdez
Advocate

the work around should work if I create a new field that is an on/off flag as you suggested. I will play around with this option in our Preview tenant before going live with this Suggestion. I will post back when this is working. 

fred_smith
Autodesk

I created a simple workspace called "Pick Lists" for all pick list values with fields "List Name" (string), "Value" (string), "Enabled" (checkbox). Create appropriate permissions, descriptor ("List Name","Value"), and add to "References" on main menu. Then, I created a few records and turned one off. Then I defined a new workspace pick list and set filters for "List Name" and "Enabled" on the pick list.

PL Workspace.JPG

Add a field to another workspace.

PL Pick List.JPG

Define the filtered pick list.

PL Colors.JPG

Appears just as with a static pick list, but the values are being filtered from the reference "Pick List" workspace.

PL List.JPG

richard.valdez
Advocate

I just did the same, this looks like it will work. now I just need to go back through and update all my picklists. I like that the existing Where used records are still listing the disabled records. that will help in audits. 

benderk
Autodesk
Thank you for submitting your idea. Have you tried the Modern Interface lately? We request that you review your idea in the context of the Modern interface. If your idea is not addressed, we invite you to create a new Idea in the context of Modern so that it can be addressed accordingly. Sincerely, Keri Bender | Global GTM Business Strategy Manager, Product Lifecycle Management
benderk
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report