cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter Views

Filter Views

it would be great if we had the option to Filter for "OR" in the view Filter selections, currently we have the option for filtering "AND" only for example in My custom View I an Filtering Location "AND" Description. it would be great to Filter for Location "OR" Description.

Capture.JPG

23 Comments
richard.valdez
Advocate

a better example is if I add a filter For "Item Descriptor" looking for any description that contains 1410 then add another Filter for "Item Descriptor" looking for any description that contains 1710 it would look for both 1410 and 1710 in the same Descriptor field not seperatly like I need. 

1410 is one Product and 1710 is a different Product, both for the same line. we would never have an Item with 1410 and 1710 descriptor in the same description. I want to be able to filter out all other Products in a View but these two. currently it will only allow me to filter once or if I add another filter it will only look in the same field for both descriptors and it fails because we don't have both.

bassically it would be great to have "OR" and "AND" to select for how you want to filter.

I want to Filter 1410 "OR" 1710 to view Both. 

dvirh
Autodesk

Richard,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am wondering what you think of a possible solution I have in mind for that. Adding an OR filter in the same way that we have the AND filter is problematic since it is not obvious if we should solve the AND or the OR statements first, and adding parantesis makes for a lot of confusion. I was wondering if it will be sufficient to assume that filters that touch the same data should be treated as OR statements and interpreted first, followed by the AND statements. The example you provided above will work perfectly with this solution, but will it solve the problem for all the examples you have in mind?

Hagay Dvir

Sr. Product Manager, PLM 360

richard.valdez
Advocate

it seems like that would work if the OR was first and AND was second or both. the workaround now is to create a second view and have two windows open but It would be alot easier to have the filters in one view. 

richard.valdez
Advocate

would it be possible to add a drop down box to select either AND or OR? 

dvirh
Autodesk

Richard,

We are still in the ideation phase so anything is possible 🙂

What I'm trying to figure out at the moment is what solution will provide the best user experience from the perspective of capability and ease of use. Adding a drop down to select either AND or OR is possible, but it does not help clarify which should be evaluated first. For example, if I had an expression 'A AND B OR C', does it mean that the results should meet (A AND B) OR C or A AND (B OR C)? These expressions will have very different results and we will need to add the parenthesis to make sure it is what the use means. Adding the parenthesis however will make it less readable and more confusing.

My idea for the solution if very different. Instead of writing an expression, I am wondering if it will be sufficient to do what Excel is doing and allow you to simply filter each column independently. When you do that, it creates the effect of having an OR condition within a column, and an AND condition between columns. For example, here is what Excel looks like:

Filtering.jpg

richard.valdez
Advocate

I think the excel style option is a good Idea, most people use Excel and are familiar with these options.

gasevsm
Alumni

@richard.valdez, @dvirh,

Would it help if we approach this simpler i.e. leave the advanced mixed use case of fA AND fB OR fC. Namely, presently we provide only AND(s) logic between mulitple filters.  Would it help if we start providing a toggle to do *only* OR(s) between the identified filters. User can switch between the two AND/OR options.  Then, next phase would be similar to what our advanced reporting handles.  third options to the toggle would be 'advanced' at which point a) each filter would get assigned a letter eg. A,B,C,.... and b) user gets a filter box to type logic eg. (A AND B) OR (C AND D). Thoughts?

richard.valdez
Advocate

I think that will certainly help!

nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi Richard,

You have brought up a very interesting idea that falls in place with our design.

We appreciate you have taken the time to submit the idea and to continue providing additional information to our team.

You idea will be added to our feature list.

Thank you,

Trung

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for working out this valuable option for AND and OR operators in the workspace View.  I have four comments:

1. Shouldn't consideration also be extended to using the Boolean operator NOT?    

2. Wondering if, whatever the solution becomes, it could be applied to the Filtering functionality in the Reports tool as well.  There, currently, we do have the option to create an Advanced filter formula (using AND & OR), but it would be good if the filtering mechanisms in both Views and Reports were the same.

3. Similarly, would there be a way to extend customized filtering options to the Home screen's main Search?     

4. It would also be awesome if we could export to Excel directly from our customized View - and/or be able to clone it into a new Report - instead of having to re-create everything again in Reports.

Thanks!

DT   

cgong
Contributor

We are requesting to add the ability to filter using "Any" or "Or" instead of just "And" to views. Currently we are limited by the current filter and would like to open up by being able to filter using multiple conditions.

If you need more information feel free to contact me.

Thank you.

richard.valdez
Advocate

I have submitted a simalar post that was accepted but didn't include "any" good addition! 

or.JPG

Hi Curtis, Richard,

Just wanted to give you some info about this request: we're working on improving the Workspace Views Filter, and one of the features we want to add is the ability to use ORs - we understand it would be super useful to customers. You'll hear more about it in the future.

Thanks,

Giliar de Fries Perez
Product Owner
Product Lifecycle Management
Autodesk Inc.

nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hi Cgong,

We appreciate you have taken the time to submit this idea on the Idea Station.

As  Richard have stated earlier, he submitted a similar request.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/plm-360-ideastation/filter-views/idi-p/5899506

Many customers have approached us with similar requests, as Giliar stated it is something we are looking into for future enhancement.

Happy Holidays!!!

Trung

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can we get an update on the progress of this idea/request?
dvirh
Autodesk

Brad,

This issue was identified as a duplicate of the following issue: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-lifecycle-ideas/filter-views/idi-p/5899506

I will update that other issue with the information requested.

dvirh
Autodesk

I would like to give the forum a quick update on where we are with this feature. You may know that we are working on a new user interface for Fusion Lifecycle (if you are unaware, feel free to sign up for our beta at https://beta.autodeskplm360.net). We intend to address this request in the new user interface. The beta already includes a basic View Management system that allows adding and removing columns from the view in a more visual way than what is in Fusion Lifecycle today. The intention is to enhance this mechanism to allow inclusion of filters in the view in a very similar way to my comment in this item from November of last year. In addition to filters we intend to support ordering of the columns, Save-As ability to create a new view from an existing view, and Sharing of views. The best way to keep up with this development is to join our beta program.

Hagay Dvir

Sr. Product Manager, Fusion Lifecycle, Autodesk.

david.cliftonAMV2A
Enthusiast

New tenant user here.  

My first Report put me squarely up against the lack of "OR" as a report option.  Personally I think that, at the very least, any Boolean type argument written in code should never be a single choice.  If you provide "AND" please always give me an "OR" too!  

And I think for most queries, "OR" is more valuable than "AND".

"NOR", "NAND", and "NOT" may be overkill for most.  I never miss them.  But "NOT" would be "NICE".

Not having "OR", I had to approach my query from a non-intuitive direction.  I succeeded, but I'm supposed to as the Admin.  Other users I can see failing to find a solution.

I see that this post began almost a year ago to the day  (?!?!?).  As a new tenant I may be naive, but I'd think a year is long enough to implement this simple a change.  Just today I had to explain to a user on my team that yes, I wish "OR" was a selection as well.

dvirh
Autodesk

Hi David,

This thread is on the creation of Workspace Views. Although similar to reports, Workspace Views don't currently support OR conditions which is something that we are working on as stated above. Reports, however, have always supported OR conditions. In the 'Filter rows, only showing items where:' section, the right most drop down says 'Match All' by default.

filters.png

You can change it to 'Match Any' which will create an OR condition between all selected filters:

or condition.png

Or you can change it to Advanced which will allow you to create very complex conditions between the various filters:

advanced.png

Hello @richard.valdez,

This feature - conditional operators in workspace views (AND/OR) - is now implemented in Modern. If you have further feedback on this feature, please create a new idea.

Thanks,

Giliar de Fries Perez

Product Owner - Fusion Lifecycle - Autodesk Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report