cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Numbering Sequence

BOM Numbering Sequence

It seems very odd that the Numbering sequence in a BOM doesn't update when you remove and Item from the BOM.

for example: BOM 123 has three items,

(1.1) X

(1.2) Y

(1.3) Z.

if you removed Item Y and added Item A the BOM would look like this...

(1.1) X

(1.3) Y

(1.4) A

the New Rev would skip 1.2

It seems like it would be better if the Whole BOMs item Sequence were re-numbered. its just confusing when you look at a BOM that had multiple Changes to it and its all out of sequence. 

Item Numbering.JPG

5 Comments
dvirh
Autodesk

It is my understanding that BOM line numbers can be important for some customers. For example in order to visualize the fact that items were removed from the BOM. For that reason we make the decision to not change a number for a BOM line once it was assigned. That said, we are considering to add single-click renumbering option in our new UI. I am interested to see if users will find this useful or confusing?

Note that it is always possible to manually set the line numbers, either by editing the item or by re-importing the BOM with new line numbers.

richard.valdez
Advocate

I think having an option to re-number any time the BOM Changes would be great! 

johnny.buccola
Advocate

I fully agree with the re-number button. It seems a little tedious to have to have to export and re-import every time you need the order in your BOM changed -- all I care about is that my part numbers are in descending order (which is surprisingly hard to achieve as it is) For probably as many customers, the BOM order doesn't matter.  It'd be nice if you could click edit -> sort -> renumber inside your BOM so that it stays readable. For large BOMs, it's nuts that you're required to manually change the number of every single line item.

benderk
Autodesk
Thank you for submitting your idea. Have you tried the Modern Interface lately? We request that you review your idea in the context of the Modern interface. If your idea is not addressed, we invite you to create a new Idea in the context of Modern so that it can be addressed accordingly. Sincerely, Keri Bender | Global GTM Business Strategy Manager, Product Lifecycle Management
benderk
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report