Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validation Script problem

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Customer.Service
573 Views, 8 Replies

Validation Script problem

I am new to scripting and am having a problem with a validation script I created (shown below) .  SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL is a radio button field.  My goal is to stop the workflow if this field is not completed.  At the moment it works in that it stops the workflow when the field is left blank however it also stops the workflow if the field is completed.  I think my problem is that the SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL field is in a different workspace from the workspace the workflow is in.  How do I direct the script to the correct workspace?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

var messages = [];

if(item.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL !== null){
messages.push('A response must be entered for "Supplier Quality Manual" ');
}

returnValue(messages);

Carmen

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

The pattern that is usually used is to create a linking pick-list attribute to reference the record in the other workspace.  The picklist would refernce records in the other workspace, and the attribute would select one of those records to associate to the item.

If I understand correectly the workflow is associated to the item.  So item.LINKING_PICK_LIST.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL would refernce the associated attribute in the other workspace.

Does this help?

Message 3 of 9

Hello Carmen,

First of all, if you want to check if it is NOT set, you need to test for === null  .

var messages = [];
if(item.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL === null){
} returnValue(messages);

From your comment about the "SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL field is in a different workspace from the workspace ", it seems that this field is on the Affected/Managed Item (the item you want to revision) and not on the workflow item directly (the revisioning item).

In both cases I assume that the radio button is from a custom picklist with yes and no, correct?

One thing to help you, you can set the "default" value of the SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL so your new items will never be "empty"/null. Except of course if you actually "always" want the user to manually set a value.

Here is the field description that I used for the code below:

supplier document.png

Here is an example if it is the case (that the field is actually from the linked item in the Managed/Affected Item Tab. You need to loop through each linked revision controlled items under that revisioning item.

var messages = [];

var wfiSize = item.workflowItems.length;

var i;
for( i=0;i<wfiSize;i++){

var wfi = item.workflowItems[i].item;

if(wfi.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL === null){

}else if(wfi.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL === "Yes"){

//Do something if it shouldn't be yes

}else if(wfi.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL === "No"){

//Do something if it shouldn't be no
}
}
returnValue(messages);

And here the example if the field is on the Revisioning item itself (like you have in your example):

var messages = [];

if(item.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL === null){ messages.push('A response must be entered for "Supplier Quality Manual" '); }else if(item.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL === "Yes"){ //Do something if it shouldn't be yes
}else if(item.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL === "No"){ //Do something if it shouldn't be no }
returnValue(messages);

Dany Poudrier

PLM Product Manager
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the response.  I'm sorry if I did not supply enough context to my problem.  The workflow I placed the validation script in is linked to the workspace the field is in via a relationship.  The radio button is from a custom picklist with a yes and no option.  I know I can make the radio button a mandatory field but that option will not solve our problem.  I need the workflow to stop if the field is not answered.  When I run my current script I get the error...

Field SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL does not exist in the target workspace. This may be an error.

I have very limited knowledge of scripting and may not have understood your response.  I did change the line in my script so my script now reads as follows:

var messages = [];
if(item.LINKING_PICK_LIST.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL === null){
}
returnValue(messages); 

This returns an error .....

There is an error in the script on line 2, column 0. TypeError: Cannot read property "SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL" from null (SMC_166_fields_required#2)

Did I totally misunderstand??

Message 5 of 9

Hi Dany,

Thanks for the response.  I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with the wfi and wfisize statements and what they mean in this script and how to incorporate them.  I did correct my line to test for === null.  

The workflow I placed the validation script in is linked to the workspace the field is in via a relationship.  The radio button is from a custom picklist with a yes and no option.  I know I can make the radio button a mandatory field but that option will not solve our problem.  I need the workflow to stop if the field is not answered.  When I run my current script I get the error...

Field SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL does not exist in the target workspace. This may be an error.

Does the additional context help explain my problem better?

Carmen

Message 6 of 9

Hi,

Sorry about that confusion.

I assumed that you were a little more familiar with Javascript.  The wfi is just a variable name (I could have named it toto). But in your specific case you do not need it.

The right code is bellow item.LINKING_PICK_LIST.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL

var messages = [];
if(item.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL === null){
}
returnValue(messages); 

Dany Poudrier

PLM Product Manager
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for your patience Dany.  I have only had 2 days training total so my knowledge is extremely limited.  I have revised my script per your post and when I debug, I can see that the field is being linked.  I get the correct response message when I try to move the workflow to the next step without entering anything in the field, however I also get the same response message when I put "yes" or "no" in the field.  So the workflow will stop me no matter what is in the field at this point.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Also, do you have any suggestions on books that are available for learning scripts?

I greatly appreciate your assistance.

Carmen 

Message 8 of 9

Here is the final script after some more email discussions.

Bottom line, the customer has two workspaces and use relationship to link the two.  The attribute to validate the workflow is not on the workflow workspace but on one of the item of the relationship workspace.

Here is the final code:

var relationshipSize = item.relationships.length;

var messages = [];
var i;
for( i=0;i<relationshipSize;i++){

var relationshipItem =  item.relationships[i].item;

if(relationshipItem.master.workspaceID ===57){

if(relationshipItem.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL === null){

messages.push('A response must be entered for "Supplier Quality Manual" for ' + relationshipItem.descriptor.descriptor );

}else if(relationshipItem.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL === "Yes"){

//Do Something if needed for yes
        }else if(relationshipItem.SUPPLIER_QUALITY_MANUAL === "No"){

//Do Something if needed for no
        }
    }
}
returnValue(messages);

Dany Poudrier

PLM Product Manager
Message 9 of 9

Thanks again for your assistance Dany.  The solution works like a dream!

Carmen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report