Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM import error on Unit of Measure Column

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
nicholas.novak
588 Views, 3 Replies

BOM import error on Unit of Measure Column

Hello,

I have an issue due to the way PLM handles 'Unit Name' and Unit Abbreviation' from the UOM Manager. The task is to move some BOM's from one workspace to another workspace. When I export a BOM to excel, the column for UOM is in the 'Unit Abbreviation' format. When I go to import this spreadsheet into the new workspace, I get an error on UOM column because I believe PLM is looking for the 'Unit Name' not the 'Unit Abbreviation'. If I edit that column manually, and save the import, the errors go away and I can successfully import the BOM.

In this BOM, all of the UOM's are Each, which was abbreviated as EA. The UOM column from the exported BOM showed all EA's. Once all the EA's were changed to Each's, the import ran successfully.

I believe you should not have to manipulate the spreadsheet or data when performing an export/import. For now I have gone into the UOM Manager and made the 'Unit Name' and 'Unit Abbreviation' the same, which I made EA.

Am I missing something here? Any guidance is appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Your assessment is correct.

To explain a little, I think the tool you are referring to for the export is actually the "Reporting" tool.  So it's not meant to be the compliment to the import tool - it serves a different purpose.  When reporting the friendly description is usually better.  By contrast the import tool has a specific purpose where the internal id is preferred.

It is common to use the export tool to extract data (seeing as there is no alternative).  And I agree, that I have exported data for the purpose of determining the required import format.  Maybe we should incorporate some sort of a toggle that allows you to specify which is needed on export so that the report tool could act more like an export tool? 

Thanks,

Message 3 of 4

Thank you for the confirmation!

And, just to clarify, the tool I'm using for the export, is the little excel spreadsheet button on the Bill of Material tab that says 'Export to Excel' when you hover over it. I've been playing around with different BOM views, such that, I can export and import without having to massage the data.

At this point, I can't comment on the value of the toggle feature.

Message 4 of 4

I found the solution I was looking for in the Help Guide under 'Export a BOM' > 'Re-importing Exported data'. See below:

"If you plan on re-importing a Unit of Measure (UOM) field in your Item Details tab, select a BOM view that includes the field with UOM values from the Item Details tab instead of the Unit field in the Bill of Materials tab. The Unit field in the Bill of Materials tab shows the Unit Abbreviation value while the Item Details tab shows the full Unit Name. Only the Unit Name can be mapped in an import, and so it is required to make your reimport successful."

I now have exactly what I wanted.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report