Fusion Educators
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble assigning folder-level roles to students

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
bmschick
386 Views, 11 Replies

Trouble assigning folder-level roles to students

I have two classes of students using Fusion 360, and I have created a main folder, two class folders, and individual folders for each student in the class folders.

I've invited all the students, and about 80% have found the emails and joined up. The other 20% is a topic for another post.

Within the 80% that have successfully joined up, I assigned them "Viewer" role at the project level, and then "Editor" role on their own folder. That worked for about 80% of my joined students.

But the roles of the other 20% refuse to change. At their individual folder level, Fusion Teams describes their role as "Viewer." I can check their checkbox, select "Editor" and click assign role. Teams shows their role change to "Editor." But if I refresh the page, their role is back to "Viewer," and the students are still unable to write to their own folders. 

Help!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
bmschick
in reply to: bmschick

Message 3 of 12
dan.banach

Hi @bmschick 

Thanks for posting your question. I'd recommend NOT assigning a Role at the Project level, this is because the Role will propagate down to all subfolders. Below is an image of what I'd recommend for Roles. 

danbanach_0-1667429289192.png

Also, the Viewer Role will only be able to view files online. The Reader Role, will allow members to open and copy files in that folder, but can't save to this folder.

danbanach_1-1667429638110.png

For the students who you can't change their Role, can you verify their Role at the Fusion Team Level?

On Fusion Team, please try the following:

1. Click on your Profile picture
  2. Click on the Admin tab
  3. Click on the Members and Role tab
  4. Ensure Active filter is active
  5. Verify what the Role at the Fusion Team is. Most students should have a Role of Project Contributor. Can only work in the project they are invited into.
  6. If the student does not show in the list, change the filter (5) to All and if the student is inactive, active them. 

danbanach_3-1667430326407.png

Let us know if this helps.

-Dan

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.
Message 4 of 12
bmschick
in reply to: dan.banach

Yes. Active user.

Message 5 of 12
dan.banach

Hi @bmschick 

Can you confirm that the students are Project Contributors?

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 6 of 12

I'm having a similar issue.  Most of my students have finally found their invite emails and now have reader access to an assignment files folder, and I've created folders for them each individually and added each as an editor of their own folder.  I've currently got 1 student that can access the assignment files just fine but cannot save to their folder.  I've assigned them the editor role several times but every time I refresh it goes away.

I have checked the admin side, they ARE listed as a project contributor

They CAN access student files as a reader

They do NOT have access at any higher level folder that might be perpetuating down

I've created a new folder for them - same issue

Their student account is verified and valid until 11/1/2023

I deactivated and reactivated their access from the admin tab - no change

For now we've got a workaround of the student just saving things in his own project, but I'd like him to be able to work successfully in my Team 

Message 7 of 12
dan.banach

Hi @brian.mcmorrisFMBQL 

Sorry that you're having this issue. I appreciate all the details in your message. I passed this information to the development team, and they are looking into it. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 8 of 12
bmschick

Confirmed. All students who refuse Editor role are Active Project Contributors.

Message 9 of 12
dan.banach

Hi @bmschick and @brian.mcmorrisFMBQL 

We just rolled out an update on the Fusion 360 server side (no client update) that should fix the issue with not being able to changes students' roles. Can you please try to change the students Roles and let us know if you have success.

Thanks for reporting this issue and your patience as we fixed the issue.

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 10 of 12
bmschick

Looks good so far.
The editor roles no longer revert to viewer on the Fusion Team folder
permissions webpage. I'll check with the students tomorrow to see if they
can write using the app.
Message 11 of 12
bmschick

It's working!
Message 12 of 12

They are now working, yes, thanks so much for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report