Fusion Educators
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporarily Changing roles in subfolders

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
merrittjacob
264 Views, 8 Replies

Temporarily Changing roles in subfolders

My students each have their own folder on my team (e.g. Jane). They have edit permissions for their folders. I ask  them to create a subfolder (in their own folder) for each assignment (e.g. folder Jane has subfolder Assgn1).  I understand that any subfolder will carry the permissions of the parent folder, so Jane has edit permission for Assgn1. After they have created their work, and the assignment is complete, I would like to change the permissions of their subfolder (Assgn1) to viewer so they can no longer work on the model in the Assgn1 folder. Essentially enforcing a due date and not allowing any changes.

Will the plan work? Can an administrator change the permissions of subfolder to view only while parent folder has edit permissions? 

Thanks.

Meritt

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dan.banach
in reply to: merrittjacob

Hi @merrittjacob 

Great question. Yes, a member's roles can be different in subfolders. Below is an image I did to confirm this.

[1-30-23 Update: Currently you cannot change the Role of a subfolder to be different than the Role set from the parent folder]

danbanach_0-1675109746823.png

For the Roles question. At the Fusion Team level, a Team Administrator and Team Member can change members' Roles. This is why I suggest students are assign the Fusion Team Role of Project Contributor (can't add members or change Roles).

danbanach_1-1675110043796.png

Does this answer your questions?

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.
Message 3 of 9
merrittjacob

Thanks for the quick response Dan. It was very helpful.

I tried your suggestion and as you can see from the image, I was able to change roll (Role Details box), but if you look at the background screen you can see the student still is listed as having an editor roll. I plan on checking with the student tomorrow to see if they can do more than just view their files in the Chapter 2 folder. Should the roll in the main screen (shown in the background) update to reflect the Assigned Role rather than the Applied or Inherited Role?

Thanks.

Merritt

merrittjacob_0-1675118026099.png

Merritt

Message 4 of 9
dan.banach

Hi @merrittjacob 

Sorry, I misspoke. The Role of a subfolder cannot be changed. I'll ask the Fusion Data team if this is something that could be changed in the future and if they have another idea.

I'll let you know what I learn.

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 5 of 9
dan.banach

Hi @merrittjacob 

I confirmed with the Fusion Team that subfolder always inherits from the parent folder and the effective role is the higher role. An idea.

1. Create an Submitted Assignments folder and add all the students with the Role of Editor.
  2. Ensure the students' design files have their name in it
  3. Have the students move their completed design into this folder. By moving the files, the version history should be maintained, except the latest version will change to the date the file is moved.
    1.  Instructions on How to move designs between projects in Fusion 360
  4. After all the files are moved into this folder, remove the Role for all the students in the Submitted Assignments folder.

Could this process help?

Do others have ideas on improving the process to submit assignment files?

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 6 of 9
merrittjacob
in reply to: dan.banach

Dan,

How about the copy command. If I copy the student folder into a folder that they don't have editor permission for will this achieve the same result. Are links maintained btw the files that are copied from one space to another. Again the goal here is to prevent them from accessing the file after a certain time, but allow them to keep their original for future use/ revision.

Thanks for taking a dive into this.

Merritt

Message 7 of 9
dan.banach

Hi @merrittjacob 

You can absolutely use the Copy command. The downside is the version history will be lost. The copied file will only  shows one version. If version history isn't important, Copy would be a solution.

Hope this helps.

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 8 of 9
merrittjacob
in reply to: dan.banach

Dan,

Is this something that can be changed in the future? Is it going to be considered or is the "work around", the only solution?

Thanks

Merritt

Message 9 of 9
dan.banach

Hi @merrittjacob 

I raised this as a future enhancement to the Fusion Data Team. Thanks for suggesting this enhancement.

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report