Fusion Educators
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not all face groups convert, mesh body to solid body

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
tderidder2005
1457 Views, 7 Replies

not all face groups convert, mesh body to solid body

Hi Guys,

I tried to convert a mesh body to a solid body in Fusion 360. I want to convert it with the prismatic method so I can redesign it relative simple. But if I convert it I keep getting the notification ''Not all face groups of the mesh body could be converted...'' (see pictures) and some faces disappeared. I tried to solve the problem with: combine face goups, repair, create face groups, remesh and reduce but the problem keeps coming back. 

I can convert the mesh with the faceted method but than is it a pain to redesign the model. So my question is: does someone know how to solve this problem? Or is simply impossible to convert the body do to the weird shape? 

I like to see a answer on my question:)

Thijs 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dan.banach
in reply to: tderidder2005

Hi Thijs,

Can you export the .f3d file and attach this file?

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.
Message 3 of 8
tderidder2005
in reply to: dan.banach

Hi Dan,

First thanks for you answer.

Sure, I can attach the file. I have attached a f3d file, a stl file and a link to the original thingiverse model.

Thijs

link to the thingiverse file:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2872620

Message 4 of 8
dan.banach
in reply to: tderidder2005

Hi Thijs,

I looked at the STL file and I was able to combine a few Face Groups but the file still has because of the self intersecting edges and won't convert to a solid (see the attached file). The downside to STL files is they can have issues that are difficult to fix. 

danbanach_0-1645740115122.png

If this is a critical component, you could use the Create Mesh Section Sketch and create sketches and extrude and revolve them. 

danbanach_1-1645740296485.png

Hope this helps.

-Dan

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.
Message 5 of 8

This is a tricky part.  As Dan said some mesh manipulation is tricky on these imported files.  

It will take some time but using Mesh sketches then editing the sketch created and use a mesh sketch sketch tools to fit lines, arc and plines to the mesh might help.

As far as converting what you have, you can do it as a faceted solid body then base your reverse engineered version on that, but the mesh sketch has more flexibility.  I tried to remesh and reduce the file without much luck.

Message 6 of 8

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the answers! I have cleaned up some import faces so I can redesign it a bit but I'm gonne try to change the mesh with Mesh sketch so I can convert it.

Thijs

Message 7 of 8

Dear Dan
I also have the same problem. Can you also please help me?
Your Ritvik
Message 8 of 8
colinlamb321
in reply to: dan.banach

This answer does not seem to apply to my own experience with this problem. I tried mesh sketches but due to the complexity of my geometry, they just didn't work. I need to shell this model and remove certain surfaces, but Fusion seems inadequate to get the job done. Is there another program that can offer me a more straightforward means of converting an STL to a solid body without corrupting it??

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report