Fusion Educators
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to shape an image to fit 3D form

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
benpetrakis
103 Views, 3 Replies

Looking to shape an image to fit 3D form

Hi everyone, I am trying to fit an image of the british flag onto a teacup (which slants inwards towards the bottom), and I am wondering how I can get the image across the surface without distorting due to the difference in surface area for it to sit on. It would be symmetrical with one identical flag on each side of the cup for the height/width ratio to fit, but so far inserting the image as a decal just makes a huge distorted mess really. 

Appreciate any help you may have to offer, thanks.

Labels (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dan.banach
in reply to: benpetrakis

@benpetrakis 

Try splitting the outside face of the teacup. Then edit or add a new Decal and uncheck the Chain Face option. For reference, see the attached .f3d file.

Please let me know if this helps.

-Dan

danbanach_1-1654101830409.png

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.
Message 3 of 4
benpetrakis
in reply to: dan.banach

Hi Dan, thanks but it isn't quite what I was hoping to achieve. It is neater than what I had before, but it still distorts the image to fit the surface and also I was hoping to have it cover the top rim of the cup too. What I am really looking for is essentially a spray-on effect in terms of how the image fits onto the shape if that makes sense.

- Ben

Message 4 of 4
dan.banach
in reply to: benpetrakis

Hi @benpetrakis 

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of away to do this in Fusion 360. You could try changing the X & Y scale, but that will still look distorted. You could look at other software like 3ds Max.

Maybe others have additional ideas.

-Dan

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report