Fusion Educators
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Randomize Line left on Printing from Revolve function?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
tjburke8BQFK
129 Views, 7 Replies

How to Randomize Line left on Printing from Revolve function?

The result of Revolving has left a line on my product where the nozzle ends/starts. I have read where one can randomize this to eliminate an unsightly line but can't find the source. Can anyone advise how to do this in Cura?  I am printing a semi-transparent lens on an Ender Pro machine.  Thank you...  Tom

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
o.briggs
in reply to: tjburke8BQFK

Hi @tjburke8BQFK 

A line down the side of a print is quite common, especially when using larger layer thicknesses. Typically it has nothing to do with the revolve tool but the slicer itself.

As you said,  the line appears where the layer starts and ends because the flow stops at these points. Typically slicers will look for sharp edges or corners to start/finish on as it makes it less noticeable. But when using a revolved part, there are no sharp edges on any corner for the slicer to choose. Typically this means that it chooses the closest point to the origin of the machine which is why the layer always starts along the same line on the part. 

Again, as you said a lot of sliders have this as an option, so instead of starting each layer at the closest point to the origin, it randomises the start point. This is a setting in your 3D printing slicer, not fusion (unless you are generating your gcode directly from fusion)

The setting name depends on the slicer but if you search for “random” in the slider settings it will likely come up! 

You can also reduce the impact of the line by reducing your layer height (each layer is thinner and the gap normally has a tighter tolerance) or by adjusting your layer settings. Things such as coasting, retraction, flow rate, temperature etc are all settings that could cause your  printer to leave a bigger gap at the start/end of a layer than it should! 

If you let me know which slicer you use I will try to find the setting name! 

let me know if this helps! 

Oliver Briggs
Community Manager - Education
Are you an education user?
Check out our Students & Educators Community
Please 'Like' posts that are helpful.
If a post answers your question then feel free to click the 'Accept Solution'

Message 3 of 8
tjburke8BQFK
in reply to: o.briggs

Thank you so much for responding.  I am using Ultimaker Cura 4.13.1 - 
Thank you, I will use your guide and find the solution as advised.  Tom
Message 4 of 8
tjburke8BQFK

Hi Oliver:

Found the below in settings (Cura 4.13.1) Under Wall Thickness...

Z Seam Alignment

Z Seam Position

Z Seam X

Z Seam Y

Seam Corner Preference

Z Seam Relative

None of these appear to have anything to do with Randomizing?    Still looking for how to randomize start/stops.   Perhaps in another area of Settings? I can't seam to be able to search Cura for this information...  Thanks...  Tom

Message 5 of 8
o.briggs

Sorry to hear that you are still having troubles!

The Z Seam Alignment is absolutely the correct setting and it should have a random option in the drop down menu. 4.13.1 is the latest version of Cura (and same one that I am on) and I have a random setting available.

Screenshot 2022-05-05 at 19.37.09.png

The only thing I can think to do first is to un-install and re-install Cura if the setting is not in the list! 

if you still can't find me let me know and I will take a deeper look into it!

Oliver Briggs

Message 6 of 8
tjburke8BQFK

Oliver:

Got it.  Thank you so very much. I was spending too much time reading all the sub-paragraphs within the Settings menu and not seeing the dialog box open under the Print Settings in Cura.  Thanks...   Tom

Message 7 of 8
o.briggs

Glad you found the setting! There are so many settings on that list it is easy to loose them! Even more so when every different slicer has a different name! 

let us know how the print turns out 😊

Oliver Briggs

Message 8 of 8
tjburke8BQFK

While I haven't printed the random Railroad Switch lens yet, here is the
red ones printed so far prior to randomizing. Again, Thanks

Blu are next, randomized...              ##- Please type your reply
above this line -##

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report