Fusion Educators
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert the mesh body to tspline or CAD model??

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
SAIAAKASH2002
368 Views, 13 Replies

How to convert the mesh body to tspline or CAD model??

I have to post-process a topology optimised solution in the form of mesh body to a CAD model for further simulations. But, I cant convert the mesh body.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dan.banach
in reply to: SAIAAKASH2002

Hi @SAIAAKASH2002 

Have you tried the steps outlined in this article - How to Convert a Mesh to T-spline in Fusion 360?

If so, can you post the f3d file?

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.
Message 3 of 14
SAIAAKASH2002
in reply to: dan.banach

No, I'll try it and see if I can convert the body properly. Thank you for the link.
Message 4 of 14
SAIAAKASH2002

I have followed the steps shown in this article
But after converting into a t-spline, it wont convert into BRep. I did auto-repair too. But, it wont convert
Message 5 of 14

This is the mesh body i got from topology optimisation. I need to convert it into CAD model for performing structural analysis. I have tried using meshmixer to reduce the mesh density and used instant mesh app to convert into quad mesh. But, its failing in fusion 360 for conversion into CAD.

Message 6 of 14
dan.banach

Hi @SAIAAKASH2002 

It looks like the face count is high. Through MeshMixer, there should be an option to export a quad mesh with a lower density. Please export a .f3d file and attach it to your post and we can take a look at the file.

Have you looked at Generative Design? This will give you more design outcomes that can be exported as solids.

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 7 of 14
SAIAAKASH2002

Sorry, I cant share the file publicly. I am using a student license, so I don't have generative design feature enabled. For this body, I have reduced the mesh to less than 10000 elements through meshmixer and instant mesh, then imported it into fusion 360. And I converted the quad mesh to t-spline. when I go to convert the t-spline to BRep, the program keeps giving error and asks to repair body. But, I have done auto-repair to the body. It keeps giving the same error even after auto-repair.
Message 8 of 14
hfcandrew

MM cannot export quads, only triangles.

Message 9 of 14
hfcandrew

Your triangle mesh must have a non-manifold error.

Try the autorepair feature in Windows "3D builder".

Message 10 of 14
dan.banach

Hi @SAIAAKASH2002 

Education accounts can run Generative Design, but you can't with a generic email like Gmail.

You can change the email address associated with your Autodesk account at: https://profile.autodesk.com/security

Hope this helps.

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 11 of 14
SAIAAKASH2002
in reply to: hfcandrew

I imported smoothened triangular mesh from mesh mixer to Instant Meshes application and then converted the tri mesh to pure quad mesh. Then exported this quad mesh into fusion 360.
Message 12 of 14
SAIAAKASH2002

Thank you, I have changed the mail to my clg mail and verified it.
Message 13 of 14
SAIAAKASH2002

Do you know what method is used for performing topology optimisation in Fusion 360?? And where can I get the algorithm and all??
Message 14 of 14
dan.banach

Hi @SAIAAKASH2002 
Fusion 360's Shape Optimization uses the Load Path Criticality metric to analyze which specific areas of material support the load applied. I don't believe we post information about the algorithms.

Hope this helps.

-Dan

Dan Banach

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report