Fusion Educators
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Lab Install

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
kmcgheeCMFPG
294 Views, 16 Replies

Help with Lab Install

I am in need of help. Our network guys are all on leaves so I have to figure this out myself. I have fusion 360 installed in our computer lab, in the past I have downloaded the file from (https://dl.appstreaming.autodesk.com/production/installers/Autodesk%20Fusion%20360%20Admin%20Install?) and  ran this code:

@echo off
echo[
echo[
echo This file performs an update of a machine-wide (global)
echo installation of Fusion 360.
echo[
echo[
echo Run this batch file from a Command shell (Run as Administrator).
echo[
echo[
echo This file requires the Fusion 360 Admin Install.exe file
echo be in the same folder.
echo[
echo[
echo To cancel this operation press Control + C.
echo[
pause
@echo off
"%~dp0\Fusion 360 Admin Install.exe" --process update
echo[
echo Batch process complete!

This was last done to install 2.0.12888. It would not work last night so as a cure all to get me going for this morning I installed it by just running the file on each machine. It works and will get my class going but now I have both 2.0.12888 installed and an icon on the desktop to open this and 2.0.16985 installed.

Can anyone help me with the proper file to download, and code that will run off a usb drive, uninstall any existing fusion versions and install the current one when the next update comes out?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
dan.banach
in reply to: kmcgheeCMFPG

Hi @kmcgheeCMFPG 

Below are instructions on how to update your Windows lab computers. Note that the next update for Fusion is planned for Monday September 18th in the evening. 

To minimize the number of updates that you have to do, an option for this week, is to have your students run Fusion from a browser (Chrome is preferred) by going to https://fusion.online.autodesk.com and sign in with your Autodesk Education ID (same email that you log into Fusion 360 with).

Steps to Update Fusion on Windows Lab Computers

1. Download the Fusion Lab Install File.
  2. Open the text file and copy the text in the file and save with the name “FusionLabInstall.bat” into the same folder/directory as your Fusion Lab Install File.
  3. Launch the *.bat file from Windows Explorer, a command shell, script, or software distribution or management system.       

Does this help?

-Dan

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.
Message 3 of 17
kmcgheeCMFPG
in reply to: dan.banach

thanks I am going to try it, however on the 19th I leave for two weeks and was leaving fusion for my sub, can the students use the software while I am going or will it not work at all? The browser has not worked well for us in the past.

Message 4 of 17
dan.banach

Hi @kmcgheeCMFPG 

The potential issue of not updating your lab computers is if a student has Fusion installed on a home computer, works and saves Fusion while on a new version. This student will not be able to open the file on the lab computer running the older version.

To receive information about Fusion's updates that should be installed, you can  complete this form. I also add information about the updates on this forum and are pinned to the top.

When your IT Admin is back, you can ask them to see if running an automated script to install Fusion is possible on the lab computers (as describer below).

Auto-Download for Windows users only – a time-saving process for updating Fusion Lab Installations. 
To ensure your lab version is consistent with the latest version available on students’ personal devices you now have the option to set up Auto-Downloads. Auto-Downloads for Fusion 360 automate the recurring ~8 weeks update process. Learn more about the benefits of Auto-Downloads for Windows users and the set-up instructions here - see section 6 (page 14).

Thanks for all you do for your students.

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 5 of 17
kmcgheeCMFPG

Thanks, I do get the notification from the form. The way our network is setup nothing can be automated. I have to do it at each computer, 30 times 😞

Students won't be working on things at home, from my experience they never do.

I tried the file and script, it goes no where.  Opens the black screen but the cursor blinks, no text appears.

Here is what I have:

Files on the USB:

kmcgheeCMFPG_0-1694629131497.png

Bat file contents:

kmcgheeCMFPG_1-1694629163073.png

Message 6 of 17
dan.banach

Hi @kmcgheeCMFPG 

Sorry that you're having this issue. A few questions and a suggestion.

1. Are you logged into the computers as an Admin when running the batch file?
  2. Do the students log into the lab computers with their own credentials?
  3. Can you confirm that Fusion is installed at: c:\Program Files\Autodesk\webdeploy\meta\streamer ?
  4. When running the batch file, right-click on it and click Run as administrator.

Please keep us posted.

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 7 of 17
kmcgheeCMFPG

1. Are you logged into the computers as an Admin when running the batch file?
    No, I have always run the file as admin to do this job, I can log in as myself with admin privilege's but the way the system is setup it will only update for me, as soon as I log into the drafting account (phdrafting) it will not be updated.
  2. Do the students log into the lab computers with their own credentials?
    No they log into with one, phdrafting, all the computers are the same.
  3. Can you confirm that Fusion is installed at: c:\Program Files\Autodesk\webdeploy\meta\streamer ?
    I am not sure, I was able to locate the following information as the phdrafting login allows me to look to the file location for the shortcut, and then where the shortcut is pointing to:

C:\Users\PHDrafting\AppData\Local\Autodesk\webdeploy\production\6a0c9611291d45bb9226980209917c3d\FusionLauncher.exe
    Also some information is stored here as also showed in the shortcut:

C:\Users\PHDrafting\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Autodesk

4. When running the batch file, right-click on it and click Run as administrator.
    I do, nothing happens then after awhile this appears:
    kmcgheeCMFPG_0-1694650348433.png

Message 8 of 17
dan.banach

Hi @kmcgheeCMFPG 

It looks like Fusion was installed as an individual and not the lab install. Hence why the batch file was failing

In Fusion, try running the Service Utility and do a Repair, and Rest and see if this then allows Fusion to update. If this doesn't solve the issue, uninstall and reinstall.

danbanach_1-1694652710532.png

Here is a description of the two install methods, and links to instructions on how to install.

• The Individual Install, installs at the User Profile level and should automatically be installed when logged in as "phdrafting". After the update, should just need to restart Fusion to finish getting the updated version.
    danbanach_0-1694652181688.png

• The Lab Install, installs under the c:\Program Files folder. This version must be updated by hand.

Let us know if this helps.

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 9 of 17
phssdrafting

Thanks for the information. I may have to wait till the techs get back, won't bee will the end of the month, as I tried to uninstall fusion and it appears to be impossible for me if you can believe it, as it does not allow me to do it from the add remove programs or the start menu, but I see there is an uninstall button in your image posted so I can try that tomorrow.

I will also look into how we can most effectively update, as it is installed now, when it notifies me there is an update, our system/network/permissions do not allow it to update on its own. This was why I was updating it with the bat file and right click as administrator. It might just be as much work as uninstalling and reinstalling at this point.

Message 10 of 17
kmcgheeCMFPG

I don't have the service utility option.

Is it not available for version 2.0.12888?

Message 11 of 17
dan.banach

Hi @kmcgheeCMFPG 

Thanks for looking for the Service Utility. Your running the APRIL, 2022 version of Fusion. The Service Utility was added after this version.

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 12 of 17
kmcgheeCMFPG

Hi, so it has been awhile. It looks as though we are without a tech for awhile more so I need to try and solve this myself.

Can you set me up with a script and a download for the latest lab install I can run from a usb stick that will install/update the program files version as I should be able to manually uninstall the user one?

Message 13 of 17
dan.banach

Hi @kmcgheeCMFPG 

In the pinned post October 30, 2023 - Fusion 360 Update is Now Available, ,you'll find instructions about installing Fusion on your lab computers, including information about the update script.

Does this help?

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 14 of 17
kmcgheeCMFPG

Thanks, I followed that pages information. When I run the .bat file a black screen appears and nothing happens

Message 15 of 17
dan.banach

Hi @kmcgheeCMFPG 

A few questions.

1. Can you confirm that you have Admin rights on the computer?
  2. Is the .exe and batch file in the same directory?
  3. If so, right-click on the batch file and from the menu click "Run as administrator?
  4. Confirm the location where Fusion is installed. Right-click on the current Fusion launch icon, and click Properties.

danbanach_0-1701024412506.png

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 16 of 17
kmcgheeCMFPG

1.) I am supposed to have admin rights, but when I right click run as administrator nothing happens either, it used to take me to a popup I could enter my credentials and it would then run. I am not even getting to that window.

2.) Yes both are in the same directory, a usb stick,

3.) I have right clicked, run as admin. Same as #1

4) Depending on the computer, fusions location can either be

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\webdeploy\production\6a0c9611291d45bb9226980209917c3d"

or

"C:\Users\PHDrafting\AppData\Local\Autodesk\webdeploy\production\6a0c9611291d45bb9226980209917c3d"

And on some computers, both.

Message 17 of 17
dan.banach

Hi @kmcgheeCMFPG 

For the computers that have Fusion installed at "C:\Program Files\...", this is the lab install version and will require the batch file to be run with the exe file.

Note: Any person who log into this computer will be able to run Fusion, because Fusion is installed in the Program Files folder.

If you're not able to run the batch file as an admin, you may have restricted rights. Is there another computer login that the IT Admin uses?

For the computers that have Fusion installed at "C:\Users\PHDrafting\...", when you log into this computer as "PHDrafting", and start Fusion, the updates should automatically be installed. Then you'll just need to restart Fusion. 
Note: Only the person who logs in as "PHDrafting" will be able to run Fusion, because Fusion is installed only for this user.

Let us know if this helps.

-Dan

Dan Banach

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report