Fusion Educators
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELLP! Cake pop Mold handle

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
beeson.brooke
454 Views, 15 Replies

HELLP! Cake pop Mold handle

I am trying to make a part that fits into my Clover that will push the cake through. I am stuck learning how to do the hole and make the handle and the clover that fits in the outside. I can do it on Tinkercad, but it's not the same dynameter around in the base and id like it to be the same. PLEASE HELLLP!il_794xN.3632852049_4jol.jpg

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
o.briggs
in reply to: beeson.brooke

Hi @beeson.brooke 

Thanks for reaching out!

I am a little unsure as to what exactly you are trying to do. 
If I understand correctly, you want the hole on the mould to match the hole on the clover? 

Your best bet for a simple hole such as this is to create a sketch (from the create menu) and draw a circle. You can dimension your circle directly when drawing it, or by using the “dimension” tool (also in create menu). 
You can then extrude this sketch into the mould (to cut the hole) and create an identical sketch doe the clover to create the protruding handle. 

Be aware that you will need to adjust the sizes slightly to account for overextension in the 3D print. 3D printers typically make parts slightly bigger than the model in Fusion so your hole will be a bit too small and your handle will be a bit too big, leading to them not fitting correctly! The simplest way to compensate is to make your hole slightly bigger or your handle slightly smaller! 

Does this solve your issue? 

Oliver Briggs
Community Manager - Education
Are you an education user?
Check out our Students & Educators Community
Please 'Like' posts that are helpful.
If a post answers your question then feel free to click the 'Accept Solution'

Message 3 of 16

Beeson, I took am a little confused on the exact piece you need help with.  I believe you are asking about the entire part and how to model it?  I did a quick version you can download here.

https://a360.co/3GXyLyv

I used the picture you provided and model the lips with symmetry so i could model the right side and just mirror it over.  I didn't dimension anything as I was just trying to do it quickly.  Also note that at the end I scaled up the outside body to ensure the parts weren't an exact fit.  This could/should be done at the sketch level assuming you know what sorts of tolerance your 3d printer can handle.

The sketch tool I used to make the shape was a Spline.  This could be done in several different ways but a spline seemed the best bet for the shape.  

Message 4 of 16

Yes! But I want to make a clover and I need help figuring out how to make the mold and handle in fusion? Can you help me walk through the steps from adding my clover so, sketch, then I can make the putter mold part. But I can’t make the handle that fits into the mold to push the cake through. Can you help me with that part?
Message 5 of 16
dan.banach

Hi Beeson,

As you're learning Fusion 360, I'd suggest running through a tutorial or two. I like the following:

Hope these tutorials help.

-Dan

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.
Message 6 of 16

52FEFDE7-2A0F-426C-9706-AA039DCA7C01.png

 this is the clover. So I know how to make the clover mold. But idk how to add the hole one the clover mold and I don’t know how to make the handle with the clover to push the cake through. Does that make sense? It looks like you did what I wanted with the lips. How did you do that in fusion? 

Message 7 of 16
beeson.brooke
in reply to: dan.banach

I keep watching videos.  But I’m not seeing the directions I need to fit an object inside another object to push cake through. If that makes send. Like the lip mold I made with a handle in tinkercad. I want to make it in fusion 360. 

Message 8 of 16
beeson.brooke
in reply to: o.briggs

I can make this part. But I need the whole and then the handle with the clover part. 

E4C9628A-8B57-434B-9B83-9A7A2C651772.png

Message 9 of 16
o.briggs

@beeson.brooke @I understand now. 
looks like you have made good progress so I will continue from

where you are currently. 
this is one way you could do it (and uses the simplest tools possible). 

First let’s make the hole:  

1. create a sketch on the bottom surface of the mould. 
2. draw a circle of the diameter that you want the hole to be 

3. finish the sketch

4. Select “extrude” from the create menu and select the profile as the area inside the circle you just drew. 
5. use the arrow to pull the extrude tool through the body to cut away from it. 

Next let’s make the other part: 

1. click on extrude in the create menu

2. select the inside bottom surface of your mould (the bottom surface inside the walls) 

3. drag the arrow upwards to the thickness you want your part to be. 
4. On the extrude pop up box, at the bottom, from the drop down menu (it will say “join” currently) select “new body”. This will make a second 3D body that is separate from the mould. 
5. select the “move” command from the modify menu, from the drop down select “bodies” and click on the part you just created. Use the arrows to drag it upwards and out from the mould. (We are only doing this to separate them and make it easier to are what we are doing)

6. create a sketch on the bottom of the new body, draw a circle for the handle and extrude it downwards. 

this is the easiest way to do it without getting into the complexities of some of the other tools but as mentioned above you need to account for the 3D printing tolerances which this does not do. By doing it this way the two parts are exactly the same size. You can use the press pull tool on the faces to shrink them slightly. 

to do it more properly I would look into the “project” tool, which would be a great help here as an alternative way. 

I am not at my computer right now but if you are still struggling later I will record a video to go through the process 😊

Oliver Briggs

Message 10 of 16

When I’m making the handle and clover base, how would I resize to fit inside the bigger clover so it will push though. 

Message 11 of 16
beeson.brooke

You’re amazing! Thank you. Seriously. 🥰

Message 12 of 16
o.briggs

You are very welcome! 
If using the above method there are two ways to adjust the size of a part: 

1. the press pull tool (modify menu). By clicking on a face, you can use the arrow to drag a face and adjust its position. For a curve it will change its diameter. This way you can offset the face by 0.2-0.4mm (depending what tolerance your printer needs) to allow it to fit once printed. You will need to do this on all faces that require the perfect fit.

2. you can use the scale tool(modify menu) to scale the entire body and shrink it by a certain proportion to adjust its size. 

Oliver Briggs

Message 13 of 16
beeson.brooke

Ok I still need your help. Can you do a video from start to finish with a clover? Or anything and I think I could learn from there. I’ve been trying all day. I’m about to give up. 😩
Message 14 of 16
o.briggs

Of course! 
I will record a video shortly and send it over 😊

Oliver Briggs

Message 15 of 16
o.briggs

Hi @beeson.brooke I have recorded a video explaining what I wrote above. (it is split into two videos because my computer ran out of memory half way through, sorry!) also sorry the audio isn't great.

Oliver Briggs

Message 16 of 16
o.briggs

second video:

Oliver Briggs

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report