Fusion Educators
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give outside lattice to my mesh

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
pr1743
142 Views, 5 Replies

Give outside lattice to my mesh

Hi Guys,

I've been attempting to give my mesh file a lattice pattern for a while, but I keep failing. Using the volumetric lattice tool in F3D, I was able to provide an infill pattern inside my mesh, but I was unable to do the same outside. My mesh would benefit from having a lattice pattern, such as a voronoi or anything else. After it is 3D printed, I want to make the mesh lighter. If I put a lattice design inside in my MJF printer, the powder will stay inside, but I need all of the powder to come out. I would really appreciate it if someone could assist me in solving this problem.

Additionally, I'm looking to see if I can reduce the weight of my mesh by adding a lattice between the surfaces. All ideas are welcomed!

I have attached my stl below, and also a picture from google to give an idea about what I am looking for

Thank you so much!!

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dan.banach
in reply to: pr1743

Hi @pr1743 

After I converted the mesh to a solid, I was able to use the Volume Fields . With the complexity of the design I was unable to control the offset from the edges. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of experience with the Mesh, Volume Fields and the Geometric Pattern tools. I'd suggest posting these types of questions to the Fusion 360 Design, Validate & Document forum.

Does this help?

-Dan

danbanach_1-1695159315151.png

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.
Message 3 of 6
pr1743

Okay, Thank you so much!

Message 4 of 6
dan.banach

Hi @pr1743 

If you're not able to open the .f3d file, ensure your Fusion is up to date. A new version was released last night. Restart Fusion and the update process will be completed.

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 5 of 6
pr1743

Okay, I am able to open it now but do you know if it is possible for me to give a lattice pattern in the middle region of the shell?

Message 6 of 6
dan.banach

Hi @pr1743 

With the complexity of the helmet, I was also unable to control the pattern so it stayed inside the helmet. You could try to offset the outside faces into the helmet. Then combine these surfaces and use the surface to split the inside body. Then apply the lattice to the inside body. 
Does anyone else have any thoughts on how to solve this?

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report