Fusion Educators
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generative design preserved geometry problem

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mech18392087
181 Views, 3 Replies

Generative design preserved geometry problem

I am working on a project, where I have to replicate experimental bar bending. I am doing so by using three poles, 2 of which are used as constraints and 1 is used as a load. The problem is that when I try to use the generative design to change the shape of the bar ONLY, the bar somehow connects to the poles which is something that I dont want.
I have chosen the bar as a starting shape, and the three poles are chosen by the preserve geometry function, as its the only way to apply loads and constraints on the poles.
The first photo below is how I model the bar bending and the second photo is how it turns out, producing a whole body by joining the poles to the bar. Any idea how I can keep the poles intact and use the generative design tool, to only change the shape of the bar, without it attaching to the poles?
Thanks in advance.

mech18392087_0-1685020554040.png

mech18392087_1-1685020571526.png

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dan.banach
in reply to: mech18392087

Hi @mech18392087 

Thanks for the message. I'm not sure if I totally understand your question. A few thoughts.

1. Generative Design will always connect the faces on the preserve geometry.
  2. There needs to be line of sight between the preserve geometry. Otherwise the faces cannot be connected. The image shows the red plate blocking the line of sights. This would fail.
    danbanach_0-1685031553522.png

3. In the areas that you don't want to have geometry added, create additional Obstacle geometry.

Please let us know if this helps.

-Dan

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.
Message 3 of 4
mech18392087
in reply to: dan.banach

Thanks for taking the time to answer and understand my problem. So, if I use the obstacle geometry in the three poles I won't be able to add any loads on them or any constraints. That's why I used the preserve geometry because this allows for constraints and loads to be added in the poles. Imagine the two poles being the base of a bar bending test machine and the other pole being the force that pushes it down. Therefore I don't want the poles to become attached to the bar, but they do. 

Message 4 of 4
dan.banach
in reply to: mech18392087

Hi @mech18392087 

You could try applying a Remove Force (I added a link to the help page for this tool). Here is what I did.

1. Modeled the top and bottom cylinders.
  2. Added a Structural Constraint to the two cylindrical faces.
  3. Start the Structural Load tool and change the Type to Remote Force.
  4. Selected the outside-planar face on the top cylinder. 
  5. Change the Direction  Reference to Angle (delta)
  6. Moved the Force down and to the left, and rotated it.
  7. Changed the value of the force.

danbanach_1-1685037577702.png

I'll submit the job and see what results I get.

Hope this helps.

-Dan

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report