Fusion Educators
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fusion 360 to Cura wrong dimensions

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
neogeo3636
3713 Views, 29 Replies

fusion 360 to Cura wrong dimensions

I made an object on fusion 360 the dimensions are 120mm long 9mm on one end and 18mm on the other end a cylinder object. when I export to Cura slicer my dimensions are wrong I keep getting 35mm x 35mm x 120mm . only one dimension is correct I added the barbarian add-on still no luck 

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
dan.banach
in reply to: neogeo3636

Hi neogeo3636,

Let's confirm how Fusion 360 sees the file (assuming STL). From the Insert menu click Insert Mesh and select the file. 

danbanach_0-1644421523301.png

You could also try to export a 3MF file, a 3MF file contains the unit, where STL does not.

If the file is inserted correctly into Fusion 360, with no scaling issue, then we need to look at Cura. Have you tried scaling the file in Cura?

Keep me posted.

-Dan

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.
Message 3 of 30
neogeo3636
in reply to: dan.banach

no I have not tried scaling it in Cura im new to 3D printing. I designed the object on fusion 360 but in Cura the dimensions are incorrect. gives me 35mm x 35mm x 120mm when the original dimensions are 9mm x 18mm x 120mm

Message 4 of 30
dan.banach

Please add the STL to the message, and I can take a look at it and see how it looks in Fusion.

Dan Banach

Message 5 of 30
MattPerez314

Are the dimensions in cura the bounding box size?

In your screenshot of the design it looks to be a surface.  I would consider trying to cap the ends to make it "water tight" and stitch it into a solid.  Then Right-click on the body in the browser and select Save as Mesh.  I did a bunch of testing of the same shape just now with the dimensions you listed exporting from a solid body or from a mesh body to STL, 3MF and bringing them back and didn't notice any dimension issues.  

Here is a sample if you want to check. 

From left to right. Solid exported as STL and imported back in, Solid body, Solid converted to a mesh and remeshed heavily. Exported Mesh body as STL, Exported Mesh body as 3mf, exported mesh body after remesh as 3mf.

MeshExport.jpg

 Link below is for the STL on the left.

Solid Exported as Mesh

Maybe Dan can correct me but there isn't a need to pre-mesh before you export.  Unless you are doing actual mesh manipulation like reducing face counts or something, that all gets turned into triangles at the mesher.  You can simply take your solid body, Save as a Mesh from the body or from the file menu > Export.  Then pick a resolution you need to match your curvature and printer capabilities.  

Message 6 of 30
neogeo3636

there they go 2 files I believe there the same

Message 7 of 30
dan.banach

Hi  neogeo3636,

I'm not able to duplicate your issue. I opened the STL that @MattPerez314 posted, and everything looks good. I even opened the STL in my Cura and the bounding box matches the size. You don't need to pre-mesh before you export. In the Save-As Mesh dialog box, you can turn on the preview to see the result. 

Is there a reason why your modeling with the Mesh tools instead of the Solid tools? Solid are usually easier to modify parametrically.

Please keep us posted.

-Dan

danbanach_0-1644428377465.png

Dan Banach

Message 8 of 30
neogeo3636

I imported the stl file. but the dimensions are wrong 18mm x 18mm x 120mm

the correct dimensions are 9mm x 18mm x 120mm

I believe I designed these as solids 

Message 9 of 30
dan.banach

Hi  neogeo3636,

Can you confirm that you're inserting the model into Cura and this is where you're seeing 18mm x 18mm x 120mm in Cura? If so, this is the bounding box. Does the preview look correct?

-dan

Dan Banach

Message 10 of 30
neogeo3636

if I try to change the dimensions in Cura it warps the cylinder . I sketched this in fusion 360 then I did the rotation feature to make it a cylinder.  I export and send to 3d print and I get the same results. I know my measurements are in MM.

I bought this 3d printer creality ender 3 S1 there newest model to print out some molds we need for a small project and its been nothing but headaches . I learned a bit how to use fusion 360 to design the molds very simple 9mm x 18mm x 120 mm cylinder . what am I doing wrong in fusion 360 that it comes out different on Cura 

Message 11 of 30
neogeo3636

I wouldn't mind making a donation or payment for any one who can just make me a stl file 

dimensions 11mm x 19mm x 120mm 

dimensions 10mmx 18mm x 120mm 

I can do a PayPal or a cash app payment. I have fallen behind on my schedule due to this issue and could really use the help

Message 12 of 30
neogeo3636

I notice though that the shape is still a cylinder but one end smaller than the other but the dimensions read 18mm x 18mm x 120mm

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 1.26.43 PM.png

Message 13 of 30
MattPerez314

Did you download the file I included in my original post? it was a tapered cone with your dimensions. 120mm tall, 9mm at the top and 18 at the bottom.  I would be curious to see what that looks like when you open it with your cura slicer.

I can't think of any reason you would be getting a skewed result with what you are doing.  The conversion to STL/OBJ/3MF doesn't alter the dimensions of the BREP body.  It just triangulates based on your settings.  

Attached are a 10 x 18 x 120mm STL Mesh and a 11 x 19 x 120mm STL Mesh

Please open those up with your Cura and see if the issue remains.

Message 14 of 30
MattPerez314

Looking at your last image a little closer.  the 18 x 18 is the X and Y extents of the base.  It is not the diameter at the top.  So the size of a bounding box that your design fits in.  It is not giving you measurements at the top.  Have you printed this as a test?  You could scale it way down in the Z direction or model a much shorter one that would print quickly to measure the diameter at the base and at the top.

From what i see in your last screen shot I don't think there are any problems. 

Message 15 of 30
dan.banach

Hi neogeo3636

I agree with Matt, the dimensions you're seeing in Cura are the bounding box dimensions. Try running a 3D print and see what it looks like. 

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 16 of 30
neogeo3636
in reply to: MattPerez314

I opened your file on Cura dimensions on the bottom left corner says 18mmx 18mmx 120mm

object looks correct but the dimensions throw me off .

im going to do a test print see what it does

Message 17 of 30
neogeo3636

I noticed the SD card loads the STL file onto the card but on the printer creality ender 3 S1 it doesn't show up

only Gcode scripts are showing up. 

Message 18 of 30
dan.banach

Hi neogeo3636
In Cura, after you change the settings, do you see an option on the lower-right corner of the screen "Save to File"? This will save the gcode file to a portable drive.

Hope this helps.

-Dan

danbanach_0-1644441267148.png

Dan Banach

Message 19 of 30
neogeo3636

thanks dan I was able to convert them to g.code . Im also runnning a test print on the stl files Matt made they seem to be printing accurately thanks again for the help. why down on the left hand corner of Cura it shows 18mm x18mm x120mm but the dimensions are 10mm x18mm x120mm ? anything im missing ?

Message 20 of 30
dan.banach

The 18 x 18 x 120 is the overall build space that your part fits within. It's confusing, but it's not the exact dimensions of the part.

Dan Banach

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report