Fusion Educators
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot change roles in folders

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
drewblazo
266 Views, 7 Replies

Cannot change roles in folders

I have a project-level folder called "Modeling Club" to which I add all my students, and they create their own sub-folders for what they're working on. I also have a folder called "Templates" where I'd like to set all the students as readers so they can copy the templates (school logo, assignments, challenges, etc) to their folders, but not edit them there. I can't seem to change or remove their roles.

I select their names, and select "Reader"

drewblazo_0-1664984130769.png

When I hit assign this screen pops up...

drewblazo_1-1664984246653.png

But after I press assign, they stay editors. What am I doing wrong?

I also plan to set it so each of their folders are editable by them, but viewers to everyone else. I like the differentiation between reader and viewer. But it's all for naught if I can't edit their roles. 

EDIT: Although I cannot remove the editor role from the students who have it, if a student already has no role, I can change it to reader and then to any other role without a problem. In fact, that second screen confirmation screen doesn't pop up, it just changes it. 🤷‍:male_sign:

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
drewblazo
in reply to: drewblazo

Ok I'll repost this as a comment, hold on a second. 👍

Message 3 of 8
dan.banach

Hi @drewblazo 

Looks like you assigned the students the Editor Role at the Project level. Try removing their Editor Role at the Project level. Then you should be able to change the students' role at the Folder level. Here is a screenshot of a suggested setup. Keep in mind that Roles will be inherited to subfolders.

danbanach_0-1664985869591.png

The Viewer Role will only allow students to view data online, while the Reader Role can open files in this folder but not save to this folder. Here is a link to an article that walks through this process - Getting Started with Fusion Team for Education and Folder-Level Projects

Let us know if this solves the issue.

-Dan

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.
Message 4 of 8
drewblazo

Thank you! This is what I found out through trial and error just now. I guess it was just that I wanted them to create their own folders so I didn't have to do that step. But looks like I'll have to do that one managerial task.

Message 5 of 8
dan.banach

Hi @drewblazo 

Looks like we posted at the same time. Thanks for sharing your insights.

To add onto your suggestion. As shown in the image in my post, you don't have to assign Roles to the top folder as subfolder will inherit this Role. I'd also suggest not assigning Roles at the Project level.

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 6 of 8
dan.banach

Hi @drewblazo 

I wanted to check in and see if you're now able to change the Roles for your students? A couple schools also reported this issue and we just made a change at the server level that should fix this issue (no client update is needed).

Please let us know.

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 7 of 8
drewblazo
in reply to: dan.banach

Yep. Figured it out. Just had to set them as viewers are top of the folder tree, then editors for their folders alone. 👌

Message 8 of 8
dan.banach

Hi @drewblazo 

Thanks for the update, I'm glad everything is working for you. Note that the Viewer role only allows members to view files online at the Fusion Team Site. I'd suggest unassigning the Role at the top level. If you have subfolders, they will inherit the role from the parent folder, but can be changed as needed.

danbanach_0-1668613546925.png

Hope this helps.

-Dan

Dan Banach

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report