Fusion Educators (Read-Only)
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with parametric constraints and linear patterning

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
biribonwajudith
128 Views, 3 Replies

Trouble with parametric constraints and linear patterning

Hello,

I am relatively new to parametric design and I am having trouble with it. In the picture attached, I have set length, width and number of lines(for patterning purposes) as the parameters.

However, after patterning, I would like to trim away part of the patterned lines so that they stop at that line across the width. However every time I do that, the parameter relating to number of lines no longer works. Please help. Thank you

Capture.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
o.briggs
in reply to: biribonwajudith

Hi @biribonwajudith 
The root of the issue is that the pattern creates constraints that define where the sketches are located. By deleting the top half of the lines you remove that constraint (you might get an error telling you this). This means that the sketch is no longer defined by the pattern that you did, and therefore the parameters have no effect. 

I am trying to find a way to make this work and will get back to you with any ideas, but for now I want to ask what you want to do with it after you have completed the sketch? 

Could you leave the lines as they are (without trimming) and just select the profiles that you need from the sketch? 
is it possible to do the pattern operation with the modelling pattern tool rather than at the sketch level?

Oliver Briggs
Community Manager - Education
Are you an education user?
Check out our Students & Educators Community
Please 'Like' posts that are helpful.
If a post answers your question then feel free to click the 'Accept Solution'

Message 3 of 4
biribonwajudith
in reply to: o.briggs

I am making parametric designs for CNC machining. Attached is a sample, the
challenge is many lines are crossing each other
Message 4 of 4
o.briggs
in reply to: biribonwajudith

Apologies but I cannot see your attached file.
An image or file of your completed 3D model (ie exactly what you want to end up with once manufactured) would be very useful!

Oliver Briggs
Community Manager - Education
Are you an education user?
Check out our Students & Educators Community
Please 'Like' posts that are helpful.
If a post answers your question then feel free to click the 'Accept Solution'

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report