Fusion Educators (Read-Only)
Are you an educator who uses Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) in their courses in secondary and post-secondary? This is the official Autodesk forum for educators like yourself to share the success you are having with Fusion in the classroom.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My students can't solve generative design study

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
alex.kane
338 Views, 9 Replies

My students can't solve generative design study

Good Morning,

My students all have education accounts and Fusion 360 says they have unlimited cloud credits, but when they try to solve a generative design study, they receive the following message:

"Cannot solve: your account does not have permission to solve this study type".

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
dan.banach
in reply to: alex.kane

Hi @alex.kane 

When your students' log into Fusion 360, do their emails end in ".edu"? This is a requirement for Education Accounts to run Generative Design.

You can change the email address in your Autodesk account by logging in at: https://profile.autodesk.com/security

Please let me know if this helps.

-Dan

Dan Banach
Sr. Technical Manager & Community Manager

If my post resolves your issue, please click the Accept Solution button.
Message 3 of 10
alex.kane
in reply to: dan.banach

Hi @dan.banach ,

I'm a high school instructor. All district email addresses end in ocps.net, not edu.

For my autodesk account, I use my work email which also ends in ocps.net and I am able to use generative design. 

Should I have the students switch to their ocps.net emails in their Autodesk accounts? Do you think that would work even though it doesn't have the edu suffix?

Message 4 of 10
dan.banach

@alex.kane 

That is interesting. I'm surprised the .net works. Can you ask a couple students to try to change their email to the .net? I'll also ask the team if .net is now supported.

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 5 of 10
alex.kane

Thanks @dan.banach,

Using an account registered with the ocps.net suffix seems to work. Ironically, students are unable to setup their Autodesk accounts using those school email addresses because their mailbox is unable to receive any messages from outside organizations. So, when the account is first created, Autodesk sends out a verification email that students need to click on, but they have no way of receiving it.

It would be nice if there was an alternate method to verify, so that students wouldn't need to use their personal email addresses to create accounts. Maybe pass along that suggestion?

Thanks again for your help Dan. We'll keep testing it out and let you know if the solution works in every case.

Message 6 of 10
dan.banach

Hi @alex.kane 

Glad that this is working. I'll let you know what I find out about the .net emails.

Thanks for the suggestion about the account creation process. The team is working on this, more to follow.

-Dan 

Dan Banach

Message 7 of 10
dan.banach
in reply to: dan.banach

@alex.kane 

Good news, I confirmed that the email addresses ending in .net will allow Generative Design Study to be run.

For others reading this in the future. To run a Generative Design Study in Fusion 360, with an Autodesk Education Account, the email used with this account can NOT be a generic email like gmail. 

You can change the email address in your Autodesk Education Account by logging in at: https://profile.autodesk.com/security

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 8 of 10
roy_rosnikJ7JUP

Dan,

I am having a similar issue with the generative design tool.  My school system does not use .edu as their email extension - we use .org.  That being said - some of my students are able to use the generative tool without any issues - while some of them can not.  Some of them have used their own devices - including Chromebook and other use the classroom desktops.  There does not seem to be a pattern to who can and cannot use this tool.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Roy

Message 9 of 10
dan.banach

Hi @roy_rosnikJ7JUP

The type of computer your running, shouldn't affect if a Generative Design study can be run or not. It's tied to the Fusion 360 login email address. Did all your students using the school.org email address for their Autodesk Education Account? If a different email was used, they change the email address in their Autodesk Education Account by logging in at: https://profile.autodesk.com/security

If all your students are using the school email, can you private message me a few email address that are working a few that are not and I'll ask the backoffice team to look at them.

-Dan

Dan Banach

Message 10 of 10

Hi @roy_rosnikJ7JUP 

I wanted to let you know that we now allow Autodesk Education accounts to access Generative Design, without requiring a school email address. When your students are back, please ask them to log into Fusion and see if they can run Generative Design.

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Banach

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

You've got Fusion.

Autodesk Design & Make Report