Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weldment Package for Fusion 360

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Mark___M
4359 Views, 22 Replies

Weldment Package for Fusion 360

Can anyone give me hope on the development of a Weldment Package / functionality for Fusion 360?

I found some old vague signs that it was/is kind-of, maybe on the radar for dev... many years ago.

Any solid info? Or is this the hill I die on?

Generative Design is cool n all but c'mon...

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Leo_Dyn
in reply to: Mark___M

You can add welding symbols to drawings currently.

However, I don't think there is any way to actually automate model the welding beads themselves at this time. Not even sure that has made it to the roadmap to work on either. I suppose you could do a profile of a weld and use the sweep to put it in models if necessary. Pretty darn cumbersome, but certainly doable...

Message 3 of 23
jeff_strater

There are no immediate plans to support weldments in the Design environment.  At the moment, I don't believe that this is high on the backlog, to be honest.  Sorry not to have a better answer, but you asked...

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 23
Mark___M
in reply to: Leo_Dyn

Thanks for the reply,

Just to be clear, I don’t mean calling out a weld in a drawing, or modelling a weld in the design workspace.

I mean a Weldments like Solidworks means Weldments.

Message 5 of 23
Mark___M
in reply to: jeff_strater

That makes me sad Jeff.

What do we have to do to bump that feature up the backlog a few notches?

I’ve tasted the sweet nectar of Weldments in Solidworks and I know Autodesk has it in them for the good people of the F360 community.

Message 6 of 23
jeff_strater

"What do we have to do to bump that feature up the backlog a few notches?"

Get a few thousand of your closest friends to ask for the same thing...

Seriously, if more customers think that this is critical to adoption, it will get funded.  To date, though, I have not seen all that many requests for it.  It makes me sad, too, because I know this is useful, but resources are limited, so not everything can get funded...

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 23
TheCADWhisperer

@Mark___M wrote:

I mean a Weldments like Solidworks means Weldments.

I know Autodesk has it in them...

Autodesk Inventor Professional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8fHxeCi8Mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wo9MB-QtAQ&list=PLp5izJt_zvN2xrvzLOIsHWjQ6mbtQXLN1&index=15

Surface modeling isn't just for swoopy organic shapes - hybrid techniques can help you layout prismatic geometry.
Using the Frame Generator and Weldment tools in Autodesk Inventor.
Message 8 of 23
TrippyLighting

@Mark___M wrote:

What do we have to do to bump that feature up the backlog a few notches?

Stand in line behind the folks who have provided thousands hours of service to the community through this forum and have  asked for much less involved feature sets and gotten a NO.

That would include myself 😉

EESignature

Message 9 of 23

I also would love to see weldments in Fusion. They would save so much time

Message 10 of 23
KFPS

I will second the need for weldments. Everything in Fusion 360 have been really nice and I was just about to say that you do not need the big expensive CAD systems anymore for professional use... until i learned that it could not do weldments.

Everytime you see a machine that has a frame from alu profiles or welded profiles, it would benefit from weldments. From small 3d printers to big project, frames are used everywhere. There might be a big part of the Fusion 360 users that does not use weldments, but my guess is that it is because Fusion 360 is there first CAD program and they have not tried it, NOT because they do not need it! 

Message 11 of 23
carl.j.barker

There is an Add-on that goes someway to providing a frame generator. 

Structural Member | AutoCAD | Autodesk App Store

Message 12 of 23
KFPS
in reply to: carl.j.barker

Hi Carl

Thank you for that info, that is exactly what I need. 

To bad that it have to be provided by a third party and that you have to pay more (But it will not be me who is paying, so for now I do not care).

Message 13 of 23

Am adding myslef to the list of thousand customers that ask for this. Make this an addon paid package like other stuff you have. Standing with cash in hand. I know you have this feature in inventor
Message 14 of 23
KFPS

I have bought the subscription package Structural Members as linked to by Carl.J.Barker and from playing with it for ½ hour it does work quit well. That package alone saved Fusion360 from getting scrubbed as my departments new CAD tool. Lucky I stumbled into it in this thread, which again should tell the Fusion360 team how important this feature is (and it should not be something you have to pay a third party for implementing).

Message 15 of 23
rkde

Weldments missing is 100% what is stopping us moving over from Solidworks, thats 5+ seats not being taken up because this feature doesn't exist and that is just us as one company 

We have a single seat for trials and testing and other than the odd way it works with parts in an assembly we could live with it but not without wledments. We will probably let the seat laps this year and come back when the feature is included

Message 16 of 23
domusam

Weldments is the most obvious missing feature for me. I would say 50% of what I design needs some sort of frame structure. Drawing every member and putting the rads on, trying to remember the rad on a 50mm x 50mm box section, not being able to, having to google it, then shelling and forgetting to do both ends, going back and doing both ends, is a right pain in the bumhole.

Message 17 of 23
Sean_M18

X2 for this application saving me from a Solidworks seat. After using Solidworks Weldments at work, building tube assemblies without this was downright painful. For anyone looking for a slick parametric solution for tube and plate assemblies, this is a life saver. 

Message 18 of 23
weatherly

I have been using weldments in solidworks for many years.

The sooner fusion can add even a rudimentary weldment tool the better. but modeling structures aint that hard the long way.

Message 19 of 23
thlim_ktmh

So, where are we now on this? FEA is meaningless without this capability.
Message 20 of 23
thlim_ktmh

There is no weldment in that Add-on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report