Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected result using imported SVG file

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
731 Views, 9 Replies

Unexpected result using imported SVG file

Can anyone shed some light please (much appreciated!)

I used an imported SVG of a Christmas tree. I extruded it, added a 'Shell' and then exported as STL and printed to my 3D printer. All good so far.

Flushed with success, I then went back into Fusion 360 and added a new sketch, added a number of dual concentric circles (Christmas baubles) overlapping the ends of the tree branches and using 'Join' set in the attribute window. I then extruded the baubles to the same depth as the tree and all looked great (see end result attached).

However, after exporting as STL to my slicer (Cura), the added baubles are are not seen as part of the body (only showing as greyed out) and are not included in the slice (see second attachment). I've not yet tried printing as it looks like something's not right and it won't work.

I'm guessing my process is incomplete in some way??

Thanks

Bob 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
LeonardoBN
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous.

What is the tree size? 2.5 cm height?

What is the thickness of these balls?

With these information, it seems to me it is a thin feature that you have to tweak in Cura (XY compensation or other thin wall options), or make them thicker in Fusion.

I don't use Cura, so I don't know well what options you have.

Leonardo Brunelli do Nascimento
Chemical Engineer
Message 3 of 10
bmxjeff
in reply to: LeonardoBN

He's right. The features are smaller than your extruder. Either get a .2mm nozzle or make the feature wall .5mm or larger. Or... Make the whole print larger : )  Excellent work with the SVG!

Jeff Hooper (Owner)
Hooper Machine and Design
[X] AUTODESK AMATUR ORDINARY
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: bmxjeff

My thanks to you both for constructive inputs, but I'm not sure that this is the issue.

Dimensioned drawing enclosed.

Yes, the 'annular' circles are small at 1.2mm outer diameter and 0.8mm inner diameter, but this leaves the shell of the baubles as 0.4mm (1.2 - 0.8). and since this is the same thickness as the shell of the tree then the slicer should not see this as an issue?

I don't yet know the answer but I wonder if it's not related to my use of an SVG to start the process off......

Message 5 of 10
LeonardoBN

Are you using a 0.4 mm nozzle?

What is your extrusion width? Here I use a 0.48 width for my 0.4 mm nozzle.

If you want, you could share you F3D file or that STL, so we can take a look.

Edit: maybe I'm missing something...but your PDF tree has a 0.4 mm shell, but your Cura preview has a full bottom layer. Nevermind, I was missing the Fusion image.   😶

From that image, it seems the balls have a small shell.

If you have 1.2 mm outer and 0.8 inner diameters, you will have a shell of 0.2 mm in "each side" of the circle.

Captura de tela 2020-07-07 11.05.49.png

Leonardo Brunelli do Nascimento
Chemical Engineer
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: LeonardoBN

Ah Leonardo - how embarrassing!

I mixed up my radius and diameters, didn't I....

You are quite right - I was thinking I had a 0.4mm concentric shell when I only had 0.2mm.  Slicer diagram attached shows two baubles as per original design, and two with corrected shell thicknesses. Cura fails to see the two that are too thin (for current settings) but sees the other two.

This is a good result for me because it means that I can continue to base designs on SVG files.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help 😎

regards

Bob

Message 7 of 10
mickey.wakefield

Hi bob.bryce!

I don't think this has to do with the size of your....let's call them features. I think its the order of operations. From your description, you said you sketched the circles - THEN you used "join" and only after that did you extrude.

If this is true - the join feature did nothing. It can only join 3D geometry....not sketches. Sketches dont have to be joined anyway.... you created the 3D geometry LAST, so there are several separate bodies in your file, and CURA is just handling the first. (I dont know if CURA can handle multiple bodies or not, but I'm guessing it wont.) 

Correct order: 1)sketch the Christmas balls 2) Extrude the Christmas balls 3) Join the Bodies

Bet that will work. Mark the answer as a solution if it does please.  

Mickey Wakefield
Fusion 360 Community Manager
Message 8 of 10
laughingcreek

@Anonymous - It's regular forum etiquette to mark the post (or posts) that contributed to the solution as the answer, not your own post.

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a good result for me because it means that I can continue to base designs on SVG files....

Fusion is famous for mangling SVG file imports.  eventually it will be a good idea to learn who to create the shapes you want in fusion.  

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: laughingcreek

Thanks laughingcreek,

I'm new around here and this was my error.

I've tried to accept the correct solution post your message but don't know how to 'unaccept' my original one.  This possibly leads to two solutions rather than one?

Hopefully folks reading this will be able to figure out what happened.

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: mickey.wakefield

Hi Mickey,

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Correct that it was scale-related as Leonardo pointed out. That was an arithmetic error on my part (humble pie....).

As for the 'join' comment, no. I perhaps didn't explain properly what I had been doing. The 'join' I referred to here was the option that exists in the window that pops up when executing the extrude command. If you see the post I added after suggestion from Leonardo, you will see that I changed the scale geometry on two of the baubles and left a further two at the original dimensions. As you will see, the subsequent attempt by Cura to slice the 'stl' file only picked up the two holes that were practical to 3D print.  However the point is that the same process was used for all four baubles thereby demonstrating that it was not the process at fault.

Thanks again.

Every day a learning day, and I'm certainly having great fun with this new hobby!

Today I learned how to 'emboss' surfaces by using and extruding spline geometry. 

Bob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report