Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create fillet on extruded svg

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
803 Views, 4 Replies

Unable to create fillet on extruded svg

I have an SVG outline of a butterfly which I imported into Fusion 360 and extruded, now I want to fillet the extruded shape.

Some of the edges will let me fillet them, e.g.ss1.png

But other edges generate an error if I try to fillet them, e.g.ss2.png

Why do some of the edges allow me to add a fillet and others not?

(Exported file attached.)

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TrippyLighting
in reply to: Anonymous

It is fairly common for imported SVG or DXF files to create this problem.

The sketch objects, lines, arcs etc. are near tangent and that creates a condition that won't allow you to fillet.

The best advice I hav at the moment is to re-trace the SVG with the native sketch tools in Fusion 360. 

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the explanation - I understand this means that the mathematical representation of an SVG imported into Fusion 360 can result in edges that are sharply curved, and it is not possible to fillet these edges because the fillet would collide with itself, as the fillet is essentially perpendicular to all parts of the edge. However if I use the native sketch tool then this will result in a more balanced representation of the shape with edges split up more evenly, resulting in more rounded curves which can then be filleted.

This really seems to limit the usefulness of the SVG import capability :-(.

Is there any way I can convert the imported and extruded SVG shape into a t-spline based object, to make it easier to work with?

Edward

Message 4 of 5
mavigogun

Duplicate Post.

Message 5 of 5
mavigogun

Mess.JPG 

T-Splines are not the magic bullet you'd hoped- going that rout will make Peter's sound advice to re-Sketch seem quick to the No Tangency.JPGHellscape awaiting in the Sculpt Workspace.  I though you might be able to Offset the Sketch loop, Loft one to the other- but Fusion crashed when I attempted to move that hot mess.   So, I projected to another Sketch, Patched each Profile, Patch Lofted- but wouldn't allow for Tangency.    I thought there wStill No DIce.JPGas an off chance Smoothing the Edge of a Mesh might work, so I converted it to a Mesh- but no love there, either.

I say, take Pete's advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report