Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to create a mold from a 3d scan stuck with negative mesh files

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
elibrandi2014
423 Views, 5 Replies

trying to create a mold from a 3d scan stuck with negative mesh files

I'm trying to create a stand for a piece of abstract art. I filled a box with clay and used the piece of art to make an imprint in the clay, i used a camera to get a scan and uploaded the obj file into fusion. From there i used mesh tools to define faces and delete areas i didn't need. I was left with a fairly perfect negative imprint of my piece . I want to take that shape and use it to cut a hole in the top of a 35mm x 35mm x 35mm box and than 3d print the file as a stand. I don't know if this is possible can anyone guide me to a tutorial on how to do this I'm fairly new to the software

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 3 of 6

I sure can... Thank you for trying to help I appreciate it...

This is what I have so far, as you can see when you open the file its just an imprint of a corner that is irregularly shaped and I want to use it to make a cut out in a 3d printed base. 

Message 4 of 6

I was thinking I could also make my square base, move the mesh file into the base, place it just below the surface, and then make a hole in the base exposing the mesh shape, save it as an stl and than try to print 

Message 5 of 6

Hi @elibrandi2014, There maybe other ways to do this easier but the first thing I thought of was that toolpaths can be driven by a mesh surface and in the manufacturing tab we can save out a stock model after it has been simulated. Take a look at my screencast to see what I did. I did have to make the tool super long, and once the simulation ended I right click to save out the model.  At the end I'm adjusting the stock size so that there is less of a vertical wall at the edge of the part. 

Joshua Aigen
Workshop Supervisor
Message 6 of 6

incase your tempted, I would suggest avoiding any workflows that involve converting a mesh like this to a brep.  keep it a mesh and work with meshes instead.  attached is an approach using just fusion.  but you can get more control over your results if you use mesh mixer, there are a lot of tools available there that aren't available in fusion. 

laughingcreek_0-1642718704386.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report