Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble editing a spline

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
djlunty
465 Views, 7 Replies

Trouble editing a spline

I have drawn a fit point spline and can't edit the points or or the tangent handles.  I don't know what I did to cause this problem as I have other files that I can edit splines in.  The spline that I can not edit is in "Sketch 1" in "stand extension". 

Also when editing the tangent handles for splines is there a way from stopping them from being changed symmetrically?  Change the length of the each end of the tangent handle a different amount?

Doug

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: djlunty

@djlunty 

Not sure what is going on here,

I am not able to click and drag the points, but I am able to edit by dimensioning location and magnitude/angle of the point handles.

TheCADWhisperer_0-1705926456277.png

Message 3 of 8
HughesTooling

Seems like these 2 tangent constraints are causing the problem but I don't know why.

HughesTooling_0-1705927903705.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
HughesTooling

@djlunty wrote:

Also when editing the tangent handles for splines is there a way from stopping them from being changed symmetrically?  Change the length of the each end of the tangent handle a different amount?

Doug

No. The only way in Fusion is to use 2 splines. I know some programs allow non symmetrical handles but if you import an SVG with non symmetrical handles it gets split into 2 splines.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
djlunty
in reply to: HughesTooling

@TheCADWhisperer 

Weird that the spline can only be adjusted by inputting distances rather than dragging points.

@HughesTooling 

Also weird that the tangents that you identified as a possible problem are not part of the splines

Could not figure out the problem so just redrew as tangent arcs.  Splines seem to be a bit finicky from time to time.  This is not the first time I have had this problem.

Thank you both for having a look.

Doug

Message 6 of 8
djlunty

@TheCADWhisperer 

@HughesTooling 

The problem was the two coincident constraints where the splines touched a previously drawn curve.  The constraints would have been created when I trimmed the linework between the two splines.  Removing the constraints allowed the splines to be edited by dragging the spline points.

djlunty_0-1706118023821.png

Doug

Message 7 of 8
laughingcreek

@Phil.E - this looks like one of several seeming related spline bugs that have been floating around since time immemorial.  my guess is they're not even on the sketch teams radar anymore.

Message 8 of 8
Phil.E
in reply to: laughingcreek

@laughingcreek The problem is the same as reported in FUS-64376 by @jeff_strater a couple years ago, I guess that's a little bit immemorial 😁. When fit point splines are coincident with projected geometry like this, it creates this condition. The sketch team has the ticket open, I just added more notes and asked them to look at it again. 

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report