Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep with guide rail question

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
TrippyLighting
1284 Views, 11 Replies

Sweep with guide rail question

While trying to help a user in this thread with modeling a drill bit.

the coil tool makes this seemingly simple task quite a chore and I am not entirely sure the sweep tool does what it should.

The question if I start with the sweep profile a the broom of the drill bit perpendicular to the Z-Axis, and provided that I am using a guide rail, should the sweep action not also end parallel to the original sweep profile so also  perpendicular to the Z-Axis ?

Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 8.29.33 PM.png 

EESignature

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

@TrippyLighting

"The question if I start with the sweep profile a the broom of the drill bit perpendicular to the Z-Axis, and provided that I am using a guide rail, should the sweep action not also end parallel to the original sweep profile so also  perpendicular to the Z-Axis ?"

It should but the current implementation doesn't and it drives me nuts. If it did it would solve hundreds of problems.......

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 3 of 12

@PhilProcarioJr wrote:

...the current implementation doesn't and it drives me nuts....

You have got to be kidding...

That deserves a face palm from the master of face palms Dave Jones from the eevblog:

via GIPHY

EESignature

Message 4 of 12

@TrippyLighting

.....and people wonder why I keep complaining that the core tools need to be the focus.....

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 5 of 12

Hi @TrippyLighting

Unfortunately @PhilProcarioJr is right (again).  We have been reviewing several of the modeling tools for improvements. I will add this to the list.

Thanks

Colin

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 6 of 12

@colin.smith

"Unfortunately @PhilProcarioJr is right (again)."

I could be wrong more often if it would help. Smiley Very Happy

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 7 of 12

@PhilProcarioJr, I doubt you could. I just like it more when you are right about positive things Smiley Wink

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Message 8 of 12

@PhilProcarioJr I doubt you could.  I just like it more when you are right about positive things. Smiley Wink

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Message 9 of 12

I do like his blog 👍

Timm

Engineer, Maker
System: Aorus X3 Plus V3, Windows 10
Plymouth Michigan, USA
Owner TMC Engineering
Message 10 of 12

LOL Exactly!!!!

Face palm.

This has been a goal of mine for a few years now, I keep coming back to it with zero results...

Looking forward to the day it becomes a reality...

www.genesisprecisionaz.com
info@genesisprecisionaz.com
Message 11 of 12

Yes, this is another core tool that does not work as it should and in effect making  this really a chore.

The only thing I have not tried is a loft with rails to get this done. You have to draw the line somewhere 😉

EESignature

Message 12 of 12

A few years back - modeling guru Jeff Howard did an iPart factory of twist drills.

In the spring of 2006 I used his process to write a tutorial for creating the geometry (non-parametric) in AutoCAD.

Back then my hair hadn't turned gray yet, Apple hadn't announced the iPhone, and my car didn't have GPS...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report