Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for Pattern With Joints

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
tookemtoni
238 Views, 5 Replies

Support for Pattern With Joints

Now that Fusion has all these new and wonderful features...configurations, conditional logic and parameter access to driven dimensions.  I think Patterns could get a boost.  No more wasted time managing broken joints or un-jointed patterned components.

How about Pattern With Joints?  ‌‌🙏

PatternWithJointsDialog.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TrippyLighting
in reply to: tookemtoni

I have requested this for many years. I've recently been told that this (the pattern tool set in general) still has not bubbled to the top of the priority list. IMHO it is completely overdue!

And don't stop with adding auto combine and auto joints. How about derived or generally reusable patterns ?

Pretty pleeeease with whipped cream on top 😉

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
jhackney1972
in reply to: tookemtoni

While you are waiting for this feature to arrive, give Duplicate with Joints a try.  It works pretty well on applying patterned of components containing Joints.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 4 of 6

@jhackney1972 If you pattern a component group with joints, you'll end up with free-floating component groups that have components with joints in them.

Now you need to assemble the patterned instances of the component groups.

If you adjust the instance counter down , one of the joints is now turning yellow, becaude it is missing a previously present instance.

If you increase the instance counter , you'll have to manually adjust an existing (rigid group) joint or add another type of joint for the new instance(e).

I don't see how you post addresses that issue.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6

If you read my post again, you will see I am not talking about a pattern at all, what I am proposing is to use the Duplicate with Joints command to create the new components, in this case a sub assembly, you need and maintain the joints.  I believe it gives an alternative to the user UNTIL Fusion 360 gets the option to maintain joints in a pattern.  In the video I show what I suggested, I only did three duplicates instead of all to save time in the video.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 6 of 6

The OP and the thread title are talking about a pattern.

I am talking about a pattern for a specific reason.

I appreciate your effort to present an alternative, but for me this is not an option. I see my assembly designs that rely on patterned component instances break frequently. Now with Configurations, a feature set that I use in almost every design,  this is even worse!

It cannot be that in a parametric CAD software features that are as essential as patterns continually need to be adjusted when the component count changes.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report