Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid newbie questions

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
GregHeumann
874 Views, 11 Replies

Stupid newbie questions

I feel like I'm making progress learning F360 - I've made some drawings I'm happy with. I've taken a zillion tutorials. But I still get hung up on some simple basics. I started a new design and wanted to do everything I could in sketch first - just for discipline sake. I WANT to make this:
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 9.29.55 AM.png

But I tried to do it 1st in sketch:
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 9.30.26 AM.png

1) I wanted to repeat that circle across the construction line. Move/Copy won't give me a copy option. Pattern won't let me select the circle. Aarrggh! Why not? (I used Pattern on the "holes" in the body with no problem - I just wanted to do it from sketch mode.

2) I created that counterbored vertical hole on the right (top image) (using the hole tool on the body, not sketch) - and I want to DUPLICATE it at the other end of the part. I can't seem to copy it- again the "move/copy" tool doesn't present "copy" as an option, I can select the profile and CMD+C but pasting....doesn't. 

I feel really stupid. I really did try to search the forum first, I promise! The tutorials are always good at showing you how to do something but they aren't so good at explaining why some stuff that seems like it should be obvious from available functions just doesn't work - like I'm missing some key concept. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

@GregHeumann wrote:

and wanted to do everything I could in sketch first - just for discipline sake. 

But I tried to do it 1st in sketch:

Sounds like you made a 3D sketch.

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 3 of 12
g-andresen
in reply to: GregHeumann

Hi,

here´s one way:

günther

Message 4 of 12

Sure - here you go

Message 5 of 12
GregHeumann
in reply to: g-andresen

Thanks, Guenther - that's pretty much how I DID do the holes- by creating one and patterning it on the BODY. What I don't understand is why I CANNOT use the pattern or move/copy tools on the original circle in the sketch?

And I created the counterbored hole the same way - but now I want to duplicate that feature at the other end of this component. I know I COULD draw it from scratch, and perhaps construct some geometry 1st to put it exactly where I want it -but would be nice to be able select that feature and simply ask to move it a certain distance along the Y axis - is there no way to do that? There must be some REASON F360 doesn't want me to think that way - and I think that's what I'm really hoping to understand. [Edit: I did make a copy of the hole and move it on the body with "Pattern". Still don't understand why the "move/copy" command grays out the "copy" option so often, or why I couldn't do it in Sketch mode]

Message 6 of 12

@GregHeumann wrote:

What I don't understand is why I CANNOT use the pattern or move/copy tools on the original circle in the sketch?

It appears that you moved the circle off of the 2D sketch plane.

Note that your sketches are blue rather than black (actual colors might depend on your color scheme).

Message 7 of 12

Thanks - I think that's it. I started that as a 2D sketch on one plane, then switched to 3D sketch and added the circle on a different one. I just started a new sketch, set 3D mode to start, drew a rectangle on the Front (XZ) plane and then an adjoining one on the XY plane. I could ONLY Pattern sketch objects drawn on the on the XZ plane.  Does that sound right?

Message 8 of 12
g-andresen

Hi Greg,

Sorry I forgot to show the mirror process.
here it is:

counterbore.gif

günther

Message 9 of 12
GregHeumann
in reply to: g-andresen

That's very cool, thank you! I haven't used that yet!

Message 10 of 12
davebYYPCU

Couple newby rules until you understand the program.

Do not use 3d sketch.  Make many 2d sketches.

Move / Copy, when the tool starts, click copy before doing anything, because if you don’t, you are telling Fusion to turn copy off.

Solid Patterns, you know about body features, 

Sketch Patterns are under sketch tab, not the modelling tab, there are two types, 

horses for courses, use the sketch pattern if you wish, but that it is highly recommended not to, 

you will get a massive performance lag in sketch patterns of a larger nature, 

so pattern in model mode, not sketches.

Might help....

Message 11 of 12
GregHeumann
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Thank you sir - helps a lot. Amazing what you DON'T figure out on your own until someone tells you - CHOOSE COPY FIRST...

I'm actually more comfortable in model mode - but I got the notion from a tutorial I should use sketching more in order to better control constraints. Is there some merit to that?

I'm an old fart. I'm very pleased at what I have learned but I still find myself having to try nine different ways to do something sometimes- and inevitably leave a little detritus behind that bites me in the butt later on.

thank you for taking the time. 

Message 12 of 12
davebYYPCU

No problem, tutorials bring their own context,

so constrain before dimensions, and don’t leave a sketch until it’s all black, blue lines and white dots can lead to the unexpected. Will live with blue splines attached to black articles.

Might help....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report