Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.step file won't open

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2823 Views, 11 Replies

.step file won't open

Ubayed_0-1593418017953.png

I have uploaded the .step file twice. I cannot delete the file. Also it shows error while I try open it in Fusion 360. I am use an educational license. How do I solve it?

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

Zip and Attach the file so that it can be diagnosed.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

I have zipped the file in .rar format. 

Message 4 of 12
TheCADWhisperer

I don’t own rar extractor- only zip.

Message 5 of 12
MRWakefield

I've tried opening it in SolidWorks 2020 and received the following error so it looks like the STEP file is corrupt in some way.

2020-06-30.png

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.
Marcus Wakefield

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You can find out about it here. Hope you find it useful.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Message 6 of 12
LeonardoBN

I think it worked here:

Captura de tela 2020-06-30 08.07.09.png

Leonardo Brunelli do Nascimento
Chemical Engineer
Message 7 of 12
MRWakefield
in reply to: LeonardoBN

Yes, you're right - I've opened it in F360 just fine. Interesting that SolidWorks didn't like it for some reason.

2020-06-30 (1).png

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.
Marcus Wakefield

I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You can find out about it here. Hope you find it useful.

Message 8 of 12

@MRWakefield wrote:

Interesting that SolidWorks didn't like it for some reason.

Open the STEP file in Notepad.

Is it Application Protocol 242?

STEP 242.png

Message 9 of 12

I had already opened it in Notepad++ just to check it was readable and to see whether there was anything obviously amiss but it looked ok from a quick glance through. The schema of this file is AP214 so it's a format that SolidWorks 2020 shouldn't have any issues with. eDrawings opens it without any problem.

'STEP File Analyzer' reports:

"*** Syntax Error: For density, the length unit exponent should be -3"

So maybe that's what's tripping SolidWorks up.

Anyway, F360 opens it just fine for me.

Marcus Wakefield

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: MRWakefield

It worked fine when I reopened Fusion 360 later. I guess it took time to load in spite of the size of the file even though other files took lesser time to load. Sometimes it takes Fusion 360 a lot of time to load, I am not sure whether it's my  internet problem. 

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Thanks a lot for the responses. It works fine right now.

I am a student. I am keen on learning how do you know the required formats by observing the codes in the notepad?

It would be helpful if you suggest me some guidelines. 

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: LeonardoBN

It worked well with Fusion 360 forma. I didn't have any issues while opening it. Thanks. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report