Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some T-spinefaces just won't go away

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
554 Views, 6 Replies

Some T-spinefaces just won't go away

I know this has somethng to do with parametric modeling, but I made a translated T-spline shape (now parametric) that is not shelling without leaving a face... nor would it pull out the desired face (admittedly modeled without much thought).

Here's the cutaway of the latest, as you can see, a box shaped cut was implemented to try to get some kind of hole started:

Image 7-5-13 at 3.25 PM.jpg

(it's the square shape floating inside the main shape)

I know parametric modeling makes hidden artifacts and hidden shapes when push too far... this shape would be rubber, so I want the fun shape intact, if possible... did I just ignore paramentric principle, or did I just cut it wrong?

Yes, this is an odd shape, but people may attempt odd shapes like this and ask the same questions.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jakefowler
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Many thanks for posting this! Just to confirm the issue, is the problem that you selected a face on this model to be an ‘open’ face on the shelled result, but the shell was not successful when you tried this?

If this is the problem, are you able to share the model with us? It would be great if we could give this to our modeling development team to analyze this in detail, and see if we can make robustness improvements in this area.

Have you tried using one of the Thicken tools for this job? This might give you a successful result for cases where Shell doesn’t provide the desired result: first delete the unwanted face(s) from the input body in the Patch workspace, and then use the Thicken tool on the remaining surface body.

If you still encountered any problems with this, another thing you could try is to thicken the pre-conversion T-Splines model using the Thicken tool in the Sculpt workspace (and then using the Convert tool on this thickened model to create a solid body from it).

It’s possible I’ve misinterpreted the problem – if that’s the case, please let me know, and we can clarify & investigate the real issue you’re seeing.

Thanks again!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: jakefowler

Hi, I did use "thicken" to achieve a usable result, however the model was simple to make and seemed reasonable to cut in the manner chosen.

This file is in a Group which I set up with "guests" turn on (whatever that truly means I'm not sure)... but could I share it within F360, I can't find any likely suspects other than "invite".

The information passing aspect in F360 is... awkward indeed.

One would expect more options to share, critique and confabulate, or (if they exist) make them more obvious if they are there 🙂

How do I set you up to view it?

Message 4 of 7
jakefowler

Hi,

‘Invite’ is the one! If you click this, and type in an email address (mine is jake.fowler[at]autodesk.com), that person will receive an invitation to join that group, and will be able to access the Designs and other posts contained in that group (enabling guest access allows you to do this: if you had disabled this when creating the group, it wouldn’t be possible to invite others).

As you say, if this wasn’t obvious to you then perhaps we need to look into how to make sharing easier & more discoverable. I’ll pass your feedback on to our product design team, and if you have any ideas about how you’d like this to work, the best way to share these with our product design & management teams is on the IdeaStation.

An alternative way to share the model would be to export the design as an F3D file, and send it to me via email; or we could arrange another transfer method for you if email doesn’t work.

Really appreciate your sharing of the model, and please feel free to use whatever method is most convenient for you 🙂

Thanks very much!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Jake,

F360 won't let me share the file with you unless you are in the group... I made a special group for this but that didn't help.

Perhaps if I sent it to the "Autodesk 360 Experience" group... then it will be able to find you?

Yup... this might be an area you need to look at more... then again, I see how you are keeping this separate so files don't wander easilly. I can see that if me and my clients each had a group and folder, it would be nice.

Why are Folders and Groups seemingly separate concepts? So one can have files and folders that serve multipule groups?

Also, there seems to be NO way to copy a file and have a design branch... like starting with the same scetch and shape?

Message 6 of 7
jakefowler

Hi,

Were you able to invite me to the group you created (with the Invite link)? I didn’t receive an invitation; if you did try to send one out, let me know. I’m afraid I don’t have access to your Autodesk 360 Experience group; only to groups you specifically invite me to.

Thanks for your points & suggestions on the file management; it’s very helpful to know what features are affecting your workflow at the moment, and please keep the IdeaStation suggestions coming! This is an area of ongoing development, and we’re going to continue rolling out updates & improvements in the coming months.

Each group has its own set of folders, so you could think of a group as a ‘top level folder’ for file management (that’s not a group’s only purpose: but this is how to see them in the context of the folder structure). I’m afraid we don’t support sharing of files & folders between groups at the moment, but we’re well aware of this limitation and it’s something we’re currently investigating.

Perhaps the best way to get the model to me might be just to use the Export Archive tool from the three-bar menu in the Fusion application, and send me the resultant F3D file? Let me know if there’s any trouble doing that.

Thanks very much again, really appreciate your help with this,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

At LAST! I've stumbled into the Group invite section... in that same strange location as the move button (under the left side bar).

This invite should lead you to the "Public Stuff" group... a gateway to you experts  🙂

Lets see how we can use/test/improve the "Cloud" aspect.

After all, I'm kinda stuck with it now (Haha)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report