Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketching issues...

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
tuttle425
229 Views, 3 Replies

Sketching issues...

Hello, I have a question about sketches or maybe a request on how to take another approach to something.

I am designing a bank of cabinets and I need to put pulls on all of the drawer fronts.  The pulls need to be centered horizontally and vertically.  I want to sketch out some construction lines and then place each cabinet pull.  However, if I start a sketch on one drawer front I can only snap to parts of that specific drawer front.  I've run into this issue many times in the past but I've never looked for a solution because I could figure out a quick workaround.  However, I have ~30 drawer pulls to position and I dont want to create 30 different sketches (one for each drawer front).  

In hindsight I would have put the pull on the drawer front as I was modeling it but I didn't think that far ahead.

A more board question on this topic is just; why can you only reference edges, corner, etc of whatever you are sketching on?  I run into this problem all of the time where I am trying to sketch something and snap to an edge, corner, whatever of a different component and Fusion acts like it's not there.  

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jeff_strater
in reply to: tuttle425

the answer to your specific question:  "why can you only reference edges, corner, etc of whatever you are sketching on?  I run into this problem all of the time where I am trying to sketch something and snap to an edge, corner, whatever of a different component and Fusion acts like it's not there. " is to use the Project command in sketch:

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 8.10.39 PM.png

This will allow you to project geometry from anywhere in your design into the active sketch.  The reason why not all the geometry is there is because only the edges of the face you sketch on are automatically included in the sketch - it's just a design choice to not overwhelm the sketch with too much geometry.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 4
davebYYPCU
in reply to: tuttle425

In hindsight I would have put the pull on the drawer front as I was modelling it but I didn't think that far ahead.

With a Timeline, it is not a problem, go back and do it.

Copy with patterns in modelling areas, not sketches.

Will need a file to discuss the file structuring to suit your needs.

Might help...

Message 4 of 4
tuttle425
in reply to: jeff_strater

This worked.  I actually came across the solution before seeing this reply.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report