Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch Profile Unselectable after Scale Operation

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
MarkDGaal
364 Views, 5 Replies

Sketch Profile Unselectable after Scale Operation

At my witts end with this one.... I've linked a file with two "S" letters. Orginally imported from an SVG then offset was used to create a smaller version of each letter within itself.

https://a360.co/2LVobRM 

In the file the first S works perfectly fine both profiles are selectable before and after the scale operation. 

The second S works perfectly fine before scaling the sketch, but after scaling the inner profile becomes unelectable. I can't seem to work around the issue anyway that I try; ideas? 

Before Scaling.                                                                                       After Scaling.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 5.39.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-23 at 5.39.11 PM.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
davebYYPCU
in reply to: MarkDGaal

Catch 22,

The scaled articles have a leak or profile detection error.  When you edit the sketch, the scaling has not happened yet, and there is no error.

Copy the scaled articles to another sketch, and the profiles are independent.  One for @jeff_strater 

Sketch Scale does not allow fixed geormetry to scale, but will give independent profiles, so unfix the svg.

Might help....

Message 3 of 6
MarkDGaal
in reply to: davebYYPCU

There were 13 other letters that were scaled this way and ended up just fine. Very curious why its happening to only this one.

ALSO I discovered that if i changed the offset value from 1.8065mm to 1.9mm there is no issue after scaling on the second S? 

Message 4 of 6
TrippyLighting
in reply to: MarkDGaal

When stuff is imported such as DXF or SVG it is imported with a certain numeric precision. Line/Curve ends that coincide in the originating software might coincide within a given tolerance but not necessarily down to the last digit behind the comma.

Thus, when Fusion 360 imports this geometry it applies is internal tolerance to determine whether two points coincide or not. CAD software such as Fusion 360 is usually more precise than given Graphic design software. So before scaling the curve endpoints are close enough to fall within the tolerance, but when scaled up are outside of that tolerance.

The question that could be asked is whether Fusion 360 should also scale up that tolerance. But be careful when answering that question with yes. It might have unintended consequences because then that increased tolerance includes any new and native sketch geometry. Or perhaps it is a global value, which then affects all sketches.

So, as has already mentioned in a thousand threads with problems stemming from imported geometry, work with the native Fuiosn 360 tools to avoid such problems 😉

EESignature

Message 5 of 6

The problem is here in the offset curve, this is before scaling. Might be right on the limit of what Fusion allows so after scaling and the move created by the scale not just the height of the letter Fusion sees the gap.

HughesTooling_0-1608815094342.png

Can you share the SVG? Not easy to zoom in to see these errors in Fusion so I'd like to look at the SVG in some other software.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
MarkDGaal
in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling sure thing here you go. 

Also good to know, I obviously used "check sketch" to look for gaps, but didn't find any, didn't realize there was a sensetivity to that inspector. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report