Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rectangular pattern distance input not parametric

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
casey.rogers
1814 Views, 12 Replies

Rectangular pattern distance input not parametric

The distance input for a rectangular pattern is not parametric even when working in a parametric design: entering an expression (such as a user parameter) into the distance field merely reduces the expression to its value. In other words, if you have a rectangular pattern distance dependent on a user parameter, the distance will not update when you update the user parameter.

This is odd behavior and inconsistent with the behavior of other features. Is a fixed planned for the problem? I'm trying to do a fully parametric design that can be manipulated entirely from the change parameters dialogue and this is really throwing a wrench into that.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: casey.rogers

For some reason I'm not running into that behavior.

Untitled - 2.jpg

Not sure why.

Jesse

Message 3 of 13
casey.rogers
in reply to: Anonymous

Huh, interesting, I opened up a test design and tried it and you're right. However, after playing around, I've realized the bug only appears if you set the distance to "spacing" and not "extent". I guess that's relatively easy to work around, but definitely seems like a bug.

Message 4 of 13
Phil.E
in reply to: casey.rogers

[This is a known issue and is being tracked internally as FUS-16610]

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Phil.E

I found a rectangular pattern distance will update from the Parameters Table if you paste your user parameter which contains the distance value, into the RPattern item distance input box inside the Parameters table, rather then through the Rectangular Pattern dialogue box.

But, I ran into another issue, it seems to follow one step behind applying changes sometimes to the R-Pattern CountU input; the number of copies basically. I see one value in upstream User Parameters "value" box, and a previous value in the CountU "value" box at the same time, making it rather clear this is a bug, because a single User Parameter should be the same throughout the Parameters Table. I saw this behavior while watching the Parameters Table as I made upstream changes to parameters that feed the Rectangular Pattern CountU value.

I was using Create> Pattern >Rectangluar Pattern

and was using "Spacing" in my case, not "Extent"

Although I was also able to make Extent show changes from a user parameter, so it works, don't know about similiar late value propogation issues here, didn't test it.

Message 6 of 13
daniel_lyall

@casey.rogers if you put it in twice it works sometime or put it in try again if it still fails put it in hit enter, open it again and put it back in hit enter it will suddenly change as it close's if not you have the other bug there are 2 of them

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Yeah, I noticed that when a value does not propogate into the internal value of the model or pattern, etc, you can sometimes fiddle with the User Parameters with values close to the value you are trying to set, and then set the value. I think it's always one step behind, but in this case the old and new values are the same, so it dosen't matter.

This kind-of reminds me of a similar behavior I saw sometimes in a sketch, when adjusting dimensions on a fairly simple rectangular shape with an arc or two in the outline.

When I had sketches with a full size dimension (extreme border to it's opposite extreme border), and smaller dimensions gluing "middle geometry" to this adjustable border line, the engine fired errors on large value changes, but allowed small changes, say within one mm. This is similar to the issue with parameters in that sometimes you can finesse small changes to propagate to the model, but large changes got choked.

I narrowed it down to overlapping dimensions (which I addressed by stacking them instead of overlapping them, and adding the dimensions last), and a tangent arc which made up part of the border, which was not constrained in a way conductive to the needs of the adjustable dimension. It was not obvious without alot of experimentation and tugging on the model to see what is happening. But the point is, maybe something in the constraints engine is not allowing the model to set the value? If its upstream of that, then I speculated in another thread on this topic that the code which marshalls User Parameters into the model's built-in parameters is quitting before all the new values reach their destination. I sugggested this because I did not see the User Parameters ever exhibit this issue with not updating or being one step behind, only the built in values.

Anyway, I hope the two bugs with parameters are fixed soon, I imagine many folks are affected by this. When they work as expected, parameters can make a design like having thousands of parts in one; so wonderfully powerful. I am deep in trying to learn best practices, and I am impressed with the power of this arrangement for my parts.

Message 8 of 13
daniel_lyall

they will be working on it they have the models and vids of it happining

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 9 of 13
Phil.E
in reply to: daniel_lyall

"I found a rectangular pattern distance will update from the Parameters Table if you paste your user parameter which contains the distance value, into the RPattern item distance input box inside the Parameters table, rather then through the Rectangular Pattern dialogue box."

[Should be fixed in an update due in early May.]

"But, I ran into another issue, it seems to follow one step behind applying changes sometimes to the R-Pattern CountU input; the number of copies basically. I see one value in upstream User Parameters "value" box, and a previous value in the CountU "value" box at the same time, making it rather clear this is a bug, because a single User Parameter should be the same throughout the Parameters Table. I saw this behavior while watching the Parameters Table as I made upstream changes to parameters that feed the Rectangular Pattern CountU value."

[Should be fixed in and update coming out this week]

If either of these cases turn out not to be fixed as expected, please return here and let us know.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Phil.E

Thank you so much, music to my ears, and alot of other folks using parameters. Awesome!

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Is this issue still active?  I'm having trouble creating a rectangular pattern using fixed spacing and a parametric number of instances--every time I put in my variable, it evaluates the value of the variable and keeps it fixed, not adjusting the number of instances in the pattern when the variable is changed.  It seems to work just fine in "extent" mode though.

Message 12 of 13
daniel_lyall

You need to post this in support section as a new thread

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 13 of 13
Phil.E

@Anonymous I'm not able to reproduce this issue. It may help if you post a video made with Autodesk Screencast to show the whole workflow.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report