Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal license, drawing limits, and amateur woodworkers

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
332 Views, 2 Replies

Personal license, drawing limits, and amateur woodworkers

I’m posting to express my frustration with the change to the hobbyist license which limits drawings to a single sheet.

I’m an amateur woodworker, and used Fusion to design and visualize my pieces of furniture. Then, I made 2D drawings, which I would print and take into my garage to build. As I found errors or improvements I would update the design on the PC and create new drawings.

A single sheet isn’t enough to capture a bunch of parts to build something like an end table with a drawer. And erasing and rebuilding a different drawing each time I need to make a change is a foolish workflow. So essentially, this change to limit drawing sheets changes Fusion from something I enjoy using in my hobby to something that’s no longer useful to me.

I don’t have any use for many of the features of Fusion. I never do electronics, or CAM, or simulations. I’m frustrated that Fusion is no longer useful to me due to a business decision to (seemingly) focus the personal license on 3D printing enthusiasts. Autodesk might be able to find a market for a woodworker-oriented license (3D modeling, drawing, and rendering). Sketchup is popular with tech-savvy woodworkers, even though it’s not nearly as effective as real parametric modeling software.

I’d be happy to pay ~$100/year for a “maker” version of Fusion, like the recently added maker license for Solidworks. That price point is common in the enthusiast software market (I pay $120/year for Adobe Photoshop+Lightroom). However, at $500/year, it’s just not reasonable to buy the full version as a hobbyist. I’ve been switching my workflow over to OnShape’s free tier, since I have no problem with my designs being public. But I do prefer the workflow in Fusion, and I wanted to post here in case there might be any sympathetic eyes within Autodesk.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jhonsvick
in reply to: Anonymous

100% agree.  This is a silly change that means my designs can’t be built unless I go through the hassle of making a bunch of single pagers every time I modify something, which I do a lot.  Add a watermark, or something instead of making the tool useless.  Very sad.  

Message 3 of 3
jhonsvick
in reply to: Anonymous

100% agree.  This is a silly change that means my designs can’t be built unless I go through the hassle of making a bunch of single pagers every time I modify something, which I do a lot.  Add a watermark, or something instead of making the tool useless.  Very sad.  

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report