Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move sketch from one component to another

37 REPLIES 37
SOLVED
Message 1 of 38
Anonymous
45445 Views, 37 Replies

Move sketch from one component to another

Is there any way to move a sketch from the general sketches folder to a sketch folder within a sub component?

For example, I make a new sketch and then extrude the sketch into a new body. I then convert the body to a component. I want the initial sketch to be foldered in the browser under the new component, but it doesn't seem like it can move.

37 REPLIES 37
Message 21 of 38
shahriarsifat1802164
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you.

Md. Shahriar Mohtasim
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, 
RUET

LinkedIn | Facebook | Youtube (CADs) | Twitter

Autodesk Product Users, BD

If you found this post helpful please hit the LIKE button and for a solution hit the ACCEPT SOLUTION.

Thank you.

Message 22 of 38
c.hudsonGUVQ6

I'm the original reply on this line of questioning.  Over the years since I replied to the original question, many, many functions have changed on Fusion.  Develop a process for doing anything and you are but one software update from that process not working anymore.  Lately, if I want to move anything around in the browser tree, I do the following:

1.  In the Browser on the right, right click on the top-most (master) component.

2.  In the drop down that appears, click the item at the bottom, "Do Not Capture Design History."  

3. In the box that appears, choose "Continue."

4.  You now have drag and drop capabilities for most of the components in the Browser Tree.  

5.  When you are done, right click on the top (master) component in the list and choose "Capture Design History."

Of course, this makes a break in the capture, but you are able to do all sorts of things with the capture turned off that otherwise are impossible.   As each of us uses this fabulous software to perform very different functions, this suggestion may or may not work for you.  

Message 23 of 38
jacare1234
in reply to: c.hudsonGUVQ6

This should be the accepted solution

Message 24 of 38
etfrench
in reply to: jacare1234

Deleting the design history is definitely not the way to move a sketch to a new component.  Simply drag and drop it into the new component. 

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 25 of 38
dnesting

This post comes up top in search results.  I spent literally five minutes with the simplest test case--a single empty component and one simple sketch--angrily trying drag-and-drop movements over and over, ten different ways, with different components active, different things selected, always completely failing with no indication from the UI why it was refusing to move the sketch.

And then one time it worked.  I don't think I did anything differently, but this time it worked.

I hit ^Z so that I could try reproducing exactly what I did, but now EVERY way that I try it works.  Parent component active. Child component active. Stuff selected. Stuff unselected. Every approach now successfully moves the sketch where I want it to go.

I conclude that there's a bug.  Somehow Fusion 360 gets stuck in a state where it just refuses to move the sketch, but if you can get the right thing magically selected in the right order, it un-sticks and now the operation can work.

So if you find this maddening, and advice like "Simply drag and drop it" to be infuriating because it obviously *isn't* that simple, the problem isn't actually you.  Just keep mashing mouse buttons and eventually you'll hit upon the same magic I hit to get it to work.  Hopefully someone can work out exactly the incantation I unknowingly hit upon, and hopefully that person works for Autodesk and can fix whatever is going on here to make this more reliable.

Message 26 of 38

Man, was this non obvious. As above, the drag is from the sketch icon and the drop onto the component icon.

Not the component name.

Not inside the component where the blue bar suggests you can.

Message 27 of 38
pdevDMGRW
in reply to: public

@public is the man - drag to the COMPONENT ICON:   NO, do not drag to the name, NO, do not drag to the sketch folder,  and NO, do NOT be faked out by that deceitful little blue line fusion shows you when dragging.  Shame on autodesk for such sloppy time-wasting nonsense.  

Message 28 of 38
Fritzinator
in reply to: innovatenate

How is it that in the year of 2022 that professional design software made by a multi billion dollar company is unable to simply copy and paste or move a sketch between two components?  And you all have the gall to ask for a subscription ... what a joke.

Message 29 of 38
etfrench
in reply to: Fritzinator

Really? You read the thread and can't figure out how to move or copy a sketch?  Maybe Autodesk should require more training before allowing new users to use the software😁

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 30 of 38
Fusion360Hodad
in reply to: etfrench

Maybe Autodesk should require more training before allowing someone like you to post on here.
Message 31 of 38

Fully agree!

In my opinion the original version of Autocad was more intuitive and stable running on a Compaq 286 than Fusion360 is running on a high-end Mac. And since all my other software, including Vectorworks,  runs great on the Mac, I know the problem in not the Mac. My perception is that Fusion360 is Autodesk’s pet or **** project that deserves, but does not receive adequate attention or resources to make it all that can or should be. That makes me think it’s a test bed for what’s next in the pipeline and a likely replacement.

Message 32 of 38

Fully agree!

In my opinion the original version of Autocad was more intuitive and stable running on a Compaq 286 than Fusion360 is running on a high-end Mac. And since all my other software, including Vectorworks,  runs great on the Mac, I know the problem in not the Mac. My perception is that Fusion360 is Autodesk’s pet or test project that deserves, but does not receive adequate attention or resources to make it all that can or should be. That makes me think it’s a test bed for what’s next in the pipeline and a likely replacement.

Message 33 of 38

hurr durr obviously I'z just a tard

I have read all the pages of this god forsaken post and done every pixel peeper drag the icon(BUT not the text!) to the component name(BUT not the sketch folder), destroy timeline, waste of time listed here. NOTHING has worked to simply moving a sketch from the root of a design into a component directory. I know I should have put the sketch in a component, but I got in a hurry and spent 4 hours before I noticed my mistake.

I had to copy and paste the sketch to a new sketch which then lost all origin constraints. That was fun.

Being unable to move whole sketches and other items around in a coherent manner is clearly an unacceptable gaping hole in the core functionality of otherwise fairly user friendly intuitive software(by cad software standards).

I should be able to drag and drop groups items related to the sketch and bodies at will between components. Without having to pixel peep where to click and drag to.(if that alleged method even works, which it has not in my case.)

Message 34 of 38

Additionally, if all sketches are removed from the original component, the program will automatically delete the Sketches folder from that location.

Message 35 of 38
scottH36AU

Seems like this functionality was removed. No longer possible to drag a sketch from one component to another. You now have to edit the original, copy everything, then paste into a new sketch on the target component, then delete the original.

Message 36 of 38
TrippyLighting
in reply to: scottH36AU

No, that still works. However, it depends on some conditions.

For example that sketch cannot have been used by another component.

EESignature

Message 37 of 38
alan_richardson
in reply to: ctilley83

This solution is perfectly correct and so simple to do. Thanks

Message 38 of 38
dgoller2RNYJ

Icon to Icon!

Thank you so very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report