Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOVE data to different Project folder

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
tkuechle
5367 Views, 22 Replies

MOVE data to different Project folder

There seems to be an issue for me moving files to a different folder. I could sometimes select several files, right click and then select move. Normally a window would appear that would allow me to move the selected files move files to a destination. Now, when the window appears it is no longer possible to select the new destination when it is a new project folder.

Strange.

Tem

Tags (4)
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Phil.E
in reply to: tkuechle

It's hard to tell what is going on based on your description.

You say:

"Now, when the window appears it is no longer possible to select the new destination when it is a new project folder."

• Do you mean a new folder inside the same project?
  • Or a new project entirely?

Currently you cannot move data between projects. You must download the data and upload it to your new project.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 23
tkuechle
in reply to: Phil.E

Actually, I ran out of time to update my post, but I found out that the problem had to do with linked files. Breaking the links solved the issue. I was also able to copy files with broken links, instead of moving them, to a new project.
Tem

Sent from a mobile location.
Message 4 of 23
tkuechle

Note, I accept this solution because it works, but the interface should explain that by providing a message with instructions on how to make it work or a message that says it can't do that yet and includes a information "i" button to explain a known process to copy/move a file between projects.

Tags (4)
Message 5 of 23
Phil.E

Thanks for marking it as such, because other users will find this post and want to know what is going on.

I've passed your feedback on to the design team.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous

@Phil.E @tkuechle

Hello,

I have run into a similar problem.  I have created a design that I want to use as a base line model that will have variations except for some base features.  It is a CNC milling fixture.  The base features are location features..  These I want to keep the base features same for every time I use this fixture.  What I don't want is to have every modification made to the Base design in its project.  I want to save the project and break the link so that the new variations wouldn't be saved in the original file.  I could not "Save As" or copy into a different project and found this post so I downloaded the file from A360 and a link was emailed to me.  Great!!  I uploaded the .3fz file into the new project.  Now I want to import the newly uploaded file into the assembly for the fixture and it won't.  GRRR!!  The error say I can't "insert a distributed design from one project to another is not currently supported"  

I need help so I can get on with my fixture design.  Any suggestions??

Thanks

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Something else I just tried is to "export" and save to a different cloud project. ( I tried in STEP and IGES ) Then in the project I can see both the STEP and IGES file.  So far so good.  I right click the newly import STEP file and click "Create Fusion Design".  Cool!  Now I have the STEP file and the converted Fusion design.  I can't import either one of them into my assembly file due to corrupted files.  I attempted this with both the STEP and IGES files and got the same results.

The file I am attempting to do this with was originally created in Fusion360 so I am at a loss why it would be corrupted.  Any help would be great.

Thanks

-Tom

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous

I finally got it imported.  This time I exported and saved the part as a STEP file locally to my computer and then uploaded it to the project I wanted it in.  After it was uploaded I imported into current assembly design and it worked this time.  Strange but it worked.  Not sure why this was such a difficult process but next time I will export to my computer locally.

I still would like to know how to a design copy from one project to another. 🙂

Thanks

Message 9 of 23
Phil.E

@Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

At this point I have only some advice and additionally may need to send you to support. Here's why.

I cannot reproduce your problem.

Here are the steps I take to move an f3z from one project to another:

1. Open A360 and download the f3z from project A.

2. A link shows up in email, which I use to actually download the file locally.

3. Browse to another project in Fusion 360, project B.

4. Create a folder for the f3z in project B.

5. Upload it. All is well. The f3z has been copied from project A to project B.

Now to insert it:

1. Create a new design in project B, then insert the f3z.

2. Break link or not, it succeeds. 

3. All is well. The f3z has been inserted and is usable in a new design, in project B.

Are these the exact steps you took? If so, I need to connect you with support to find the problem.

Only one time did I use A360 for this, only to download the f3z. The rest of the time I'm working in Fusion 360 because that's where I need to use the data.

Do you mind if I ask why you have different projects for doing essentially the same work? I ask because this would be a little easier if you had one project and inside that, many folders. Each folder represents a stand alone design, but you can share models in between. In this scenario, you could have a top level folder for all of your common parts and assemblies. Any design in any folder can access the shared components, such as the one you are trying to copy.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 23
tkuechle

I didn't read the orher person's advice.
You might try opening the imported fixture file into its own workspace, then "Break Link", select the "body" icon and right click to find and execute this command. Then save it with a slight name change. After, saving, close the workspace window. Then try to import that file into the assembly.
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous

When I was new to Fusion 360 a couple of years ago I saved quite a few files in the wrong project because I didn't know they couldn't easily be moved between them.  I know better now but I still don't see the reason why the limitation is there.  Your advise on using folders is what I do now but why are projects not used identically to a top level folder?  That is what I originally thought projects were for, which caused me problems in the future.  Do you have any links for in depth explanations of the usage of projects that may shed some light on the actual benefits of the "project" system that would justify the hassles it causes?  

Thanks,

Paul

Message 12 of 23
tkuechle

I just had a chance to respond to part of your email. Sorry. It must be hard to shift gears all the time.
We really do appreciate your responses and advice.

"Do you mind if I ask why you have different projects for doing essentially the same work?"

I think this might be an assumption. My workflow often involves importing parts, sub-assemblies and assemblies to my project from many different sources. These I utilize as references to avoid interferences, and so on. I have since learned several techniques and have adopted a protocol to make sure that I don't bring files to other projects within Fusion360. 

"I ask because this would be a little easier if you had one project and inside that, many folders."

I have several clients and things get overly complicated when jumping to different folders often. And communications as well as sharing and hiding files becomes an issue as well. The Projects aspect is a better starting place for my workflow. It has taken some time adapt to it, but it is working now without being intrusive, or distracting.

Message 13 of 23
veso58S5W

Hi Phil,

I found this post as came in the problems with moving data on my account.

Some files or folders I could move, on the web, to different projects, some are stubborn staying there where are. I went and "Open" and then "Save As" several of those, really waste of time.

Can you enter in to my account and try to move some of the folders to the other Project?

Thank you

Ves

Message 14 of 23
Phil.E
in reply to: veso58S5W

LOL no. We don't have access to your private accounts, or data. 

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 23
veso58S5W

It would be good. I trust you 😁

Can you anyhow figure out what is going on, why they don't want to move?

Thank you for quick response.

BTW my two monitors with 3 windows open work perfect. Just perfect. Thank you. My Windows10 are dragging, so much that when I type there is backlash of some 1-3 seconds sometime.

Message 16 of 23
veso58S5W

I get many times Red Bar saying "Cannot move to selected file (folder)"

Message 17 of 23
Phil.E

Did you get an error message? If so, please show a picture.

Have you signed up for a team hub? You should see a dialog lately offering to help you move to a "team hub" that allows data to move like this across projects. 

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 18 of 23
veso58S5W

NoSave.jpg

Message 19 of 23
veso58S5W

I didn't look in to that Team Hub, as I am the only one hahahahaha

I will check.

Message 20 of 23
veso58S5W

This is still confusing, if not to say really complicated.
I tried downloading, doesn't work.

Simple function on the web like moving files from one Project to other just don't work?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report