Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint with Spring

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
SGoldthwaite
4775 Views, 6 Replies

Joint with Spring

I imported a spring from McMaster (#9657K273), and I'd like to create a rigid joint that puts the spring over a bolt (McMasater #92865A546). But I can't find a joint icon on the spring that works.  None of the icons I can choose from appear to be the center of the spring.

I'm not sure of the right name for the joint "coins" 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jeff_strater
in reply to: SGoldthwaite

You probably need to create some extra hidden geometry to hold the "Joint Origin" (that's what we call those flat disc-like objects) for a spring.  I'll see if I can find this part and play around with a Joint Origin for it and get back to you

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 7
jeff_strater
in reply to: jeff_strater

I was able to create a Joint Origin here:

spring joint origin.png

I had to create some work geometry (a plane, an axis and a point at their intersection)

Here is a screencast showing how to do this:

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 7
SGoldthwaite

That was very helpful, thanks.

Message 5 of 7
rsreed

I know this has been a couple years ago, but it looked like the perfect solution for me since I had selected a McMaster Carr spring for my drawing, but couldn't select a joint alignment point. 

So I followed the screencast (twice to make sure I got everything correct) but now I can't figure out the next step. 

I can see the joint origin just like in the screencast but when I try to assemble the rigid joint, I can only align the rod to the spring and not the other way around. I guess that I need to somehow attach the joint origin that was created to the spring component itself? How would I do that?

Message 6 of 7
rsreed
in reply to: rsreed

So, I did what I would consider a work-around by using the plane from the screencast to create a new sketch point branched in the Spring Component tree. This gave me a reference that moves with the component but is it really the best way to do things?

Message 7 of 7
Leo_Dyn
in reply to: SGoldthwaite

I know this one is old, but still kind of an issue. More of a PITA issue rather than a can't solve it issue. But wouldn't it be nice to have a construct command to make an "Axis through a coil" This way you could quickly add an axis to any spring without editing models.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report