Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

join multiple components at once

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2030 Views, 4 Replies

join multiple components at once

I downloaded a part and implemented it into my model.
The part consists out of several components. When I want to move the whole, I can only grab one of the components.
I could "(as built) join" two at a time, but that takes quite a while, and I suspect there will be an easy way to make all those parts rigid at once.

Attached is the part itself.

(and a side note: I'm a complete newby regarding fusion, coming from SketchUp)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jhackney1972
in reply to: Anonymous

First thing I would do is to turn on Capture Design History.  Then to join all components into one group use the Rigid Group command.  Then you can either Ground the group or use one Rigid Joint to place it.

Rigid Group.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks, @jhackney1972, but unfortunately it does not yet work for me.
After having selected the components, and succesfully made a 'rigid group', I am not able to select a part and move the whole (when in 'move/copy'). This only succeeds when drawing a square while in 'move/copy' (and that is not usefull when I have other design visible which not should be selected).

Message 4 of 5
jhackney1972

You have probably missed the first requirement I mentioned in my post.  You need to activate Capture Design History.  In the Screencast I show you how to do this and continue to create a Rigid Group and show you how you can move it around as a unit.  From this point you can Align it, use Joints to position it or Ground it from the Browser.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

John, thank you very much!
Actually the Design History wasn't the problem, it we're two other things:
- first i had created a little reference block, but without paying attention to rule #1, so that messed the selecting process (after deleting the body and sketch, and redrawing it into a component at right spot in the browser, i was able to select one of both structures completely, without selecting the other)
- second, I tried to move the Rigid Group with "Move/Copy", which only let me move on component of the Rigid Group, (before and after having made it a Rigid Group). But your screencast pointed out the very useful tool "Align" (which was new to me). That tool made me move the Rigid Group exactly where I wanted.
Thanks again!!

(oh, and besides: drawing a square around the desired components before hitting "Rigid Group" let me select al the pieces at once, so that is in fact possible.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report