Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with thicken command

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
grajzer
141 Views, 5 Replies

Issue with thicken command

Hi, I connected two sketches using loft and now trying to thicken the result, but it doesn't work no matter which thicken value is entered.

issue.png

No sharp edges and such things but it just doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated. F3D file attached.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Phil.E
in reply to: grajzer

The problem is with the underlying geometry. In the first sketch the reference geometry is not tangent and this propagates into the loft which prevents the thicken.

first sketch.png

This results in what look like smooth faces, but in fact are not at all.

looks smooth.png

Turn on curvature analysis

areas of disconnected curvature.png

If you replace the non-tangent geometry with a spline, it works great. 

needs tangent curves.png

See how the loft face is not divided?

loft is smooth.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6
jhackney1972

You can approach this problem using another method.  You did not say what wall thickness you wanted but I read the thickness from the dialog box in your first post and picked off 0.5mm.  Here is you model using two lofts, one to create the solid and one to hollow it out.  The the extrusion to match.  If you want a different thickness, go back and modify the two loft sketch offsets.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 4 of 6
jhackney1972
in reply to: jhackney1972

Oops! the model has a hole in it!  Will attempt to correct, sorry did not see it before posting.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 6
jhackney1972
in reply to: jhackney1972

I had to increase the wall thickness to 2mm to prevent the Loft Cut from getting into the Loft body so the wall thickness of the transition section is obviously not constant.  Anyway, here is my the model with a 2mm wall thickness, "generally".

John Hackney
Retired

Message 6 of 6
grajzer

Wow guys @Phil.E @jhackney1972 thank you for the quick response and help! I've been banging my head over this since yesterday!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report