Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Target Design

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
kreatronik
267 Views, 5 Replies

Invalid Target Design

Hello,
In my design I have linked components, all from one design folder. Because I could not perform a "Combine/Cut" action with 2 of these components, I read about inserting derivatives/derives instead of linked components.
But as I wanted to try out, if this is working, I got this error:

kreatronik_0-1714765369279.png

Does that mean, I have to remove all linked components and insert derives instead?

Regards,
Hannes

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jhackney1972
in reply to: kreatronik

If you have a subscription license of Fusion, you can use the Combine command on linked components.  The video will explain.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 6
TrippyLighting

There are three things I would like to add to John's video

1. As John mentions, Edit-in-place is only available for paid subscriptions. When you do use edit-in-place, make sure that you have   "this" set to "Associative"; otherwise, you cannot complete the combined operation as it does not allow you to select the tool body if it is in a linked component.

TrippyLighting_0-1714783993395.png

2. Once the combine operation is completed, this creates a new assembly context.

Here is combine-cut the linked cylinder from the linked box ad this creates a new Assembly Context "Context1"

TrippyLighting_1-1714784172302.png

3. My general advice would be to avoid such complex operations until you fully grasp what they are doing and the possible negative implications.

For example, you clearly don't fully understand the difference between linked and derived components. I would make sure to understand their use cases first before moving on to Assembly Contexts!

It always helps to share a model and explain what you are trying to achieve.

Often such complex operations aren't even needed. 

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
kreatronik

Thank you for your answers.
Unfortunately I only have the free version 😥

Further I cannot break the links on these components because of this message:

kreatronik_0-1714934336472.png

Any ideas how to solve that task?
Maybe I can create a subassembly of these 2 relevant components and then link them in my main assembly? What would you do?

Message 5 of 6
TrippyLighting

@kreatronik wrote:

What would you do?

Export the design in .f3z format and attach it to a post. At this point, without date we can only speculate.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
kreatronik

So I found the reason. As I use the "Master_Parameter" file in almost all design parts of my assembly and the assembly itself, the "break link" wants to also import the derive of the sub part. So I have to delete this derive after every "break link".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report