Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intercooler Endtank, design help!

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Erik_Gehander
325 Views, 5 Replies

Intercooler Endtank, design help!

Hello! 

Im currently stuck with a design problem and can´t seem to find or even know what to search for to find the right tutorials for this problem.

Im currently playing with the idea to design my own application/vehicle specific intercooler endtanks.

Obviously i want them looking smooth and nice since i want them machined out of billet in the end.

But i cant seem to get enough control over the command i used to get as far as i have

(See attached picture, i have used loft) 

Intercooler endtank 2.png

8a8f5ef7-94a2-4e29-90fd-62fe4f88a87e.png

9d22ae93-d4ae-4357-895b-eba0dc8c2b68.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Drewpan
in reply to: Erik_Gehander

Hi,

We need a little more information about what you want and a copy of the file you have to work with.

Export the file like this:

Drewpan_0-1718754802485.png

Do you have a picture of what you are trying to achieve? What is the actual issue that is concerning you? The pictures

you have attached look ok to me but I don't know what exactly you want.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 3 of 6
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Drewpan

Will be the bottom left corner of pic 1 and 3.

@Erik_Gehander your geometry is making the Loft work hard, having the opening over the frame corner is not making for nice smooth transitions.

If you can export and attach the fusion file, we may be able to improve it.

Might help.....

Message 4 of 6
Erik_Gehander
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Hello! 

Yes excatly, thats part of the problem ofcourse but id also like more control over the shape using the loft command if possible? Or maybe i should go about doing it in another way? 

Ill attach the f3d file 😄 

Message 5 of 6
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Erik_Gehander

You will get a lot more control when lofting off body edges.

Surface > Extrude Sketch 1 down by the frame distance

Surface > Extrude the circle > left an arbitrary amount.

Modify > Fillet - four corners of the frame 2.5mm

slgcdb1.PNG

Hide the sketches.

Surface > Loft select the top of frame body, and the cylinder edge of the dummy body.

Set the Loft conditions to Tangent.

slgcdb.PNG

More control is available if using Rails, but I believe you will be able to set Tangent weight to a suitable shape, before it breaks.

Good News and the

Bad, this geometry, done my way will not thicken, shell or even offset to the inside as pictured. 

Also, having 2.5mm fillets, (any wiggle room here?) and trying to shell 3mm will be a big reason those commands are behaving badly. 

The Good news was to make a set of Rails, and then I could Thicken to the outside, but not inside.

Adjusting the sketches to be inside frame size, and using the inside circle, with proper rails, does give a Thicken > outride solid body.

File was not saved and lost, before I could show the rails.

Might help...

Message 6 of 6
Erik_Gehander
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Hey! 

Ahh that looks great, i kind of understand but i will try playing around with the design this way and see, seems promising 😄 

Thank you for the help 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report