Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inheritance between components

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
pmouraguedes
612 Views, 4 Replies

Inheritance between components

Hi, I am designing alpha numeric characters. All characters inherit some base parameters like length and width but, of course, they have specific attributes which define a specific character.

On a SW programming pattern, there would be a base class Character and subclasses: A, B, C, etc. 

On Fusion 360 I'm not managing to replicate this:

- if I "paste as new" the new component will be totally independent. This means if I change a common parameter like height, it won't affect the new component.

- if I use normal paste and make changes to the new component, those changes will be replicated to the source component, which is a bummer.

Is there a way to sanely do this in Fusion 360?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
g-andresen
in reply to: pmouraguedes

Hi,

try Derive.

günther

Message 3 of 5

Here's a way you can create linked components within a single document. First create your base body and create copies, then convert the bodies to components, these will be independent so any edits to the individual components will not affect the others. Just roll the timeline back before the pattern if you want to add or modify features to the base body.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
pmouraguedes
in reply to: g-andresen

Awesome, thanks.

Only limitation seems to be I one needs to create a new design to where to insert the derive.

Message 5 of 5

Clever, thanks.

I think this approach is a bit more fragile than the derive one but it's definitely a solution if one wants to keep everything in the same file!.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report