Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Thicken a Complicated Surface

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jake_resnick
299 Views, 6 Replies

How to Thicken a Complicated Surface

I'm trying to make a mold for this RC airplane fuselage, I can do Combine Cut from another body, but then I have a lot of excess material.

I want to Thicken it as a surface so a can have a mold with a consistent thickness everywhere, but it just shows an error because the surface is too complicated.

I have attached the file if anyone can give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it.   

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jhackney1972
in reply to: jake_resnick

I agree, the surfaces are too complex to thicken a surface but you can create a mold using a different process.  Here is a solid mold of the fuselage.  One half is turned off but can be shown if needed.  May not be what you asked for but it is a mold. Model is attached.

Solid Mold.jpg

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
etfrench
in reply to: jake_resnick

Try this:

Offset face excluding flat areas.

Thicken.

Repeat for flat areas.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 4 of 7

How thick would it need to be?

That is an important detail you forgot to mention!

I was able to shell it inwards of outwards by.1mm 😉

Anything larger, you'll have to offset this surface by surface and re-trim. 

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
jake_resnick
in reply to: jhackney1972

Hi, 

I was able to do that, but I'm left with a lot of excess material. I wanted to just thicken the whole thing so I only have the material I need, but if it's not possible I will just do as you showed. 

Thanks so much!

Message 6 of 7
jake_resnick
in reply to: etfrench

Ok I will try, Thanks!

Message 7 of 7

Yes a wanted to thicken it to 20mm or 30mm but I guess that's not possible. I will try doing it surface by surface. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report