Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to subtract from referenced body?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
feklee
1096 Views, 9 Replies

How to subtract from referenced body?

I want to subtract the box from the sphere, but I cannot select the sphere as a target body.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
TrippyLighting
in reply to: feklee

Youcannot use the combine tool directly on a linked component.

is there a reason you need to work with a linked component ?

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
feklee
in reply to: TrippyLighting

The reason that I want to use the linked component is that I want the design to update when the linked component changes.

In fact it is possible to subtract the sphere from the box, just not the other way round. As far as I understand it, the problem is that subtracting the box from the sphere would modify the linked component. But I found a solution:

Create a copy of the sphere, and subtract from that.

The copy updates when I change the linked sphere.

Message 4 of 10
TrippyLighting

@Anonymous.klee wrote:

The reason that I want to use the linked component is that I want the design to update when the linked component changes.

The reason why I asked the question is that very many new users overuse linked components. You can design a complete assembly in Fusion 360 without the use of a single linked component.

Everything will update parametrically.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
feklee

The linked component I import from Rhino. It's not modeled in Fusion.

However, now I have issues with the imported component. I somehow cannot copy the body in its reference.

Message 6 of 10
TrippyLighting

1. You can and probably should break the link.

2. A moel inserted from Rhino is might be a surface body, not a solid body otherwise referred to as BRep.

If it's a surface body you might nee to such it into solid body or use the Boundary fill tool. Both command are in the Patch workspace.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
feklee

Breaking the link is what I did as a workaround for now. Still I would like to have the design update automatically when I update the imported model. May investigate another time why I cannot copy it.

The model is a BRep. It is imported as a body which - once the link is broken - I can subtract from.

Message 8 of 10
HughesTooling

What I do is use boundary fill to create a copy of the linked design as a component then hide the linked design. If you need to update the model from Rhino in the linked design, use Import New Version in the data panel. If it breaks the boundary fill it's quite easy to reselect and fix the model.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
TrippyLighting

Mar's suggestion is what I would also have suggested. Please post back here if the Boundary fill does break. IMHO it should not but in Fusion 360 many things break that should not.

EESignature

Message 10 of 10

logo.pngHere's an example from a mould I'm making at the momment. I've used Boundary Fill to copy and create a component from the linked design, added a shrinkrate to the copy then built a core using projected sketches and Combine cuts. If I edit the linked design all should update in my mould tool design.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report