Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to model Hyperbolic Funnel (a.k.a. vortex funnel or wishing well) ?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
bizilux
4092 Views, 6 Replies

How to model Hyperbolic Funnel (a.k.a. vortex funnel or wishing well) ?

Hey all,

Long story short: Im making 3d printed marble machine and i want to create a Hyperbolic Funnel, like this:

Science+Kinetics+Hyperbolic+Funnel+3

i've come this far, but i have no idea how to get it to hyperbolic shape?

2.PNG

i know i should be using conic curve right? but theres so little documentation on it that im kind of lost

there is a great website which goes into math behind the shape here: https://www.spiralwishingwells.com/guide/physics.html    but im not smart enough to copy  that into 3d model 😄

also i have no idea how im going to 3d print this baby... but thats a problem for future me i suppose

thanks for any help!

Im making 3D-printed marble machines 🙂 www.outofmarbles.com
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
bizilux
in reply to: bizilux

okay i figured out how im going to 3d print this... but i still need to figure out how to do a proper hyperbolic curve 🙂

thats how its going to be 3d printed so i will not need supports:

3.PNG

Message 3 of 7
helibum

Are you lookng for a way to generate the curve mathematically, or is a visual approach sufficient? The way I'd do it is create a sketch, draw the curve you want, and then rotate it around a central axis to generate the 3D shape. If you want to generate it mathematically, a graphing app that can output DXF files would work the curve to be imported as a sketch.

Message 4 of 7
bizilux
in reply to: helibum

i already did the visual approach as you can see in the screenshots... i was just hoping that there is some easy way to make hyperbolic shape that im after...

yes graphing app is what i need i suppose... i tried  putting that formula (y=-1/x) inside the graph calculator (https://www.desmos.com/calculator ) and yes, it returns hyperbolic funnel shape... too bad there isnt an easy way to do that inside fusion 360 https://www.desmos.com/calculator

i suppose i will just have to manually try to get the shape as close as i can. I will import image of the funnel into fusion 360 and hopefully i can recreate the shape in sketch

Message 5 of 7
bizilux

okay i recreated  the shape as closely as i could from the reference picture. I would say thats good enough. I will need to see how marbles roll on it once its 3d printed, but im quite confident that it will work nicely.

4.PNG

Message 6 of 7
etfrench

There is (or perhaps was) an add-in to import .csv files as splines in the App Store.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
chrisplyler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report